01 December 2006

December Prayer Letter


Praise -
  • Safety on the road can never be taken for granted anywhere in the world, I imagine. However here in Kenya, where the roads are absolutely atrocious, it is the case even more so. Collins and I recently covered many, many miles with no incident. On the 24th, we boarded six different matatus and four boda bodas (bicycle taxis) - for a total of 10 vehicles! The following day, we again boarded six different matatus plus two boda bodas and one tuk tuk (3-wheel, motoroized taxi) - for a total of 9 vehicles! Another factor is that each and every matatu was grossly overloaded with passengers - not only an illegal practice, but a very dangerous one as well. To top it all off, on the 24th, we also had a 45-minute walk in complete darkness and the rain. As we finally boarded our last vehicle of the day (already overloaded), we grabbed onto anything we could find, ducked our heads inside, with the rest of our bodies hanging outside in the rain!

  • We found Charles, Agnes, and family doing well. We celebrated Duane's 2nd birthday. Many of you may remember the story of my assisting with his birth. (See photos below.)

  • The Siaya well is finished! This is a project that one of my readers/supporters took on. (See photos below.)

  • My choo (toilet) and bathroom have seen good progress! I'm excited to have my own personal facilities at my Matunda place! (See photos below.)

Prayer -
  • Collins is spending the next two weeks with me in Nairobi. Please pray that I'll impart into his life all that God has in mind.

  • Bishop and Margaret's church building, offices, Sunday School building, and toilets in Kayole (home to a congregation of about 400) was recently completely demolished by the local authorities. Apparently the person who sold them the land was not the legitimate owner. This sort of land controversy is rather common in Kenya. Shocked and saddened, they are nevertheless pressing on by God's grace. Pray with them that God will direct them to a new home.

  • I'll be on the road again between the 13-21st of December. Please pray for my safety.

If you'd like to send me a Christmas card, I'd appreciate it!
PO Box 1534
Nairobi, Kenya 00502

If you'd like to send me a year-end contribution, I'd appreciate that as well!
PO Box 34083
Omaha, NE 68134

"I'm not one of your professional prophets. I certainly never trained to be one. I'm just a shepherd and I take care of fig trees. But the Lord called me and told me to go..." Amos 7:14, 15

"One individual life may be of priceless value to God's purposes and yours may be that life." - Oswald Chambers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb...
Good to read more about your travels/ministry/adventures. It's surely a blessing to be able to combine all three. Sadly, we learned about Gospel Lighthouse Church the day it happened. Josiah called while the destruction was in process as they stood by helplessly and watched. Met with Bishop Justus two nights ago when he returned to Kentucky. I know how helpless he must be feeling, here in the U.S., not able to return to his flock. I believe he leaves us Monday to return to Nairobi. My heart just cries for the leaders and the congregation. I know God has something big in store for Gospel Lighthouse...am anxiously awaiting for His glory to be revealed!!! All is well here. My middle daughter, Lindsey, whom you have met there in Kenya, is graduating from college December 16th. I am excited that she is coming back to Kenya with me again this summer. I am excited that I am coming back...it truly feels like a second home. I know you can certainly relate to this. God bless you and your ministry.
Love from Kentucky...
Wafula