20 July 2007

I Am In Kenya

Omaha, Monday July 16, Day of Departure – I was able to reach 3 of my 4 kids, by phone, for a last good-bye. My brother stopped over to see me just before I left. He, my Mom, and I prayed together before my Mom dropped me off at Eppley Airport at 11:30am. My apprehension about my bags being overweight (and possibly even too many) was unfounded. That was great news to me, as I wasn’t really sure what the current limits are! Teressa spent about an hour with me at the airport. We chatted over a quick lunch of pizza (my last American food for quite some time) before the flight left.

Chicago – The flight from Omaha to Chicago (on a very tiny plane) was uneventful. Once at O’Hare, I had to take the tram from one terminal to another. While onboard, I overheard some young people speaking Swahili. Ah! It sounded so wonderful! As I stood in line to check in, those same Kenyans were in line in front of me. As we got acquainted, I felt like I was almost “home” already! There were 4 guys and 4 gals – all medical students at Moi University in Eldoret. They’d been in the States for 5 weeks taking a course. It was great chatting with them. After using the bathroom, I inadvertently left my passport and boarding ticket behind. But, I noticed it almost immediately, and found it right where I’d left it. Whew!

Just as I was about to board the plane, I was told that my seat had been upgraded to Business Class. Cool; that’s a first! What a difference – I got to see how the other half lives! A mere eight people are comfortably seated in the same space in which 18 are squeezed in the regular seats! Besides the extra leg room and a fully reclining seat, I enjoyed the other little perks! What a wonderful and unexpected blessing! Interestingly, I sat next to a Catholic man from the UK who has been an English-teacher missionary to Taiwan for 12 years. I was able to get some shut-eye and arrived in London without the usual swollen ankles.

London, Tuesday morning, July 17 – I had a 4-hour layover at Heathrow before my next 8-hour flight. That’s always nice, as it gives me some down time after standing in all the lines at check-in and security. This arduous trip involves 3 planes, 4 airports, and 24 hours! Each plane basically requires 4 times to stand in line: check-in/boarding pass, security, boarding, and disembarking. I had to, once again, change terminals. As I approached security, I was told I couldn’t carry two handbags on board (even though I already had on the prior two planes. Instead, I would need to check one of them. This seemed to be a randomly enforced rule, as I saw others get through with the normal two carry-ons. Great! One had my laptop and other important items; the other had my printer, movie camera, and digital camera. I was not too excited about parting company with either of them. However, the sternness of the security man’s instructions indicated that I did not have an option. I complied.

I discovered a “Quiet Room” with some reclining chairs. It was nice to be away from all the airport announcements and to lie down and close my eyes. I also read the past two days of Oswald Chambers’ My Utmost for His Highest. This excerpt really spoke to me and gave me encouragement regarding my concerns about my carry-on bag –

“God is my Father, He loves me, and I will never think of anything that He will forget, so why should I worry? Not even the smallest detail of life happens unless God’s will is behind it.”

This time, I didn’t get moved to Business Class, but I did get an aisle seat, which allows for some leg room and ease of getting up and down. We were late to board and also sat on the runway for quite some time, awaiting our turn to take off. We left 40 minutes behind schedule. Besides watching three movies and dozing now and then, I prayed often for my bag. I had three concerns – that it might get lost, damaged, or stolen. I was especially concerned about the glass on the 3-in-1 printer; I had not packed it well to endure the tossing around that it would undoubtedly suffer at the hands of the baggage handlers.

I also stood to take in the spectacular views now and then. We flew over miles and miles and miles of the Mediterranean Sea waters and, likewise, miles and miles and miles of the brown sand of the Sahara Desert. I identified the Nile River, as well. It’s so fascinating to see the world from the air.

Nairobi, Tuesday evening, July 17, Arrival – We arrived at 9:00pm (Kenya time); we’d made up 25 minutes in the air. I was so tired, but knew I had the typically long wait for bags at Jomo Kenyatta Airport. In fact, I waited and waited and waited. I left the baggage claim area to get some Kenya shillings and phone credit. I let Margaret Wanjala know I had arrived (via text message), so she wouldn’t worry. When I went back in to the baggage claim area (having to first go through security again), I was excited because I saw my small carry-on bag! Immediately I opened it and checked the glass. I was so relieved and offered up a prayer of thanksgiving for its safekeeping.

Alas, after over 90 minutes of waiting, I resigned myself to the painfully obvious fact that my other two bags (the two I had checked in Omaha) had not arrived with me! I joined about 25 other people, in a seemingly stalled line, to file a claim. The two bags that I did not pray for are the two that did not arrive!

Ah! I was so tired. Over the past 24+ hours, I’d stood in one line or another so many times. Finally finishing that task, I hired a taxi to take me to Justus and Margaret’s house. I arrived at 11:30pm (3:30pm Omaha time). I had been enroute for over 28 hours.

Wednesday, July 18 – Karo, Jeremiah, and Joy came over to spend the day with me. Ah, it was so wonderful to see them again! Joy was frightened by me (which I completely expected); it’s normal for Kenyan children her age to be scared by anyone with white skin. I gave her as much space and time as she needed. She spent several hours watching me, sometimes as discreetly as a one-year old can manage. Eventually, she was in my lap and playing games with me. I was pleased!

Bishop had numerous visitors, as well, many of which I also know. We all had a great relaxing day at the house, catching up with one another. Lunch was the typical Kenyan meal of ugali, greens, and stewed beef. Throughout the day, I had 4 cups of chai! I always tell Margaret that chai tastes the best when she serves it! Dinner was tilapia – it also tastes absolutely the BEST when fixed in this household!

For those of you that know the Wanjalas, you may be interested to know that JB (Jessica “Brown”, their very wonderful househelp) is currently attending school three hours a day, in order to learn how to read and write. I’m very happy for her. The family is temporarily in a different house, until their own house is finished. Some sad news (well, I guess that depends on your perspective) is that Shadow (their dog) died a few months ago. Margaret had just returned from a funeral the day before I arrived and will travel to another one on Sunday. Both of the deceased were murdered in very unfortunate instances. One was a relative and one was a relative of one of their church members.

It is so-called “winter” in Kenya. This lasts usually for the months of July and August. Although it certainly cannot be compared the winters we endure in the Midwest, it does get noticeably cooler (the high temperature this time of year is around 70 degrees). The sky is typically gray and overcast. I’m glad I carried a jacket with me on the plane! What a difference from the muggy 95 degree weather I left in Omaha!

Off and on, throughout the day, I made numerous calls to the lost baggage claim office. The line was either busy or there was no answer. I only got an answer once, and the man curtly told me my bags had not yet arrived. Later in the day, I received a text message saying “Warren’s” bags had arrived. They are obviously confused in that office!

I learned that one of the current hot news items of Kenya is the no-smoking ban in all public places in the entire city of Nairobi. As seems so common here, this new law has been put into place with seemingly no forethought. Just as they were when I left seven months ago, the politicians are still engaged in trying to outdo each other in showmanship as they continue posturing for position for the December presidential elections.

Overtaking both of those news items, and generating much hubbub, is the fact that the city has experienced eight tremors in the past week. The strongest registered as 6.0. Experts believe they are being caused by activity at Ol Doinyo Lengai (an active volcano in northern Tanzania) and not by tectonic plates along fault lines. O Doinyo Lengai (“mountain of God”, in the Maasai language) last erupted in 1966. Regardless of the cause, it has many Nairobians rather frightened! Thousands have spent the night out in the cold, afraid that their high-rise apartment buildings would collapse at any minute. Many multi-story downtown office buildings have evacuated their employees.

The government held a few press conferences in an attempt to allay fears and educate the public. They assured Kenyans that, no one can predict an earthquake and, secondly, that Kenya has adequate and sophisticated measuring devices. Later, the word got out that in actuality, four of the five machines are not even in working order. Ha – only in Kenya!

In the evening, after walking Karo and Joy to the stage so they could get a matatu home, I stopped by a fruit kiosk in the neighborhood. I bought 6 ripe (ready-to- eat!) avocadoes (45 cents total), 5 ripe (ready-to- eat!) mangos (70 cents total), a pineapple (90 cents), a watermelon ($3), and about a pound of freshly-picked carrots (28 cents). The grand total was far less than $6! The avocadoes alone would’ve likely cost that much in the States where they are often hard as a rock! Angela showed us in one of her school books that watermelon is called “tikiti” in Swahili. No one in the family had known that (they are just simply and typically called “melons”). Everyone had fun with that new, funny-sounding name!

Thursday, July 19 – I rode the bus to the airport, in hopes of being able to talk to someone about my bags. As we approached the airport, we all had to exit the bus and line up for an outdoor security check. Once past that, the bus picked us up again. That was a first for me. The man at the baggage claim office assured me that one of my bags was due to arrive tonight and the other one tomorrow morning. Because he seemed quite confident of this information, although disappointed to have to wait yet another day, I at least had hope! I currently have no shoes (I flew in my flip-flops), no extra underclothes, no hair gel, and only one extra t-shirt and pair of pants.

After getting this news, I boarded another bus. We were again stopped for a security check. A police officer boarded and talked with the conductor and one of the passengers. I wasn’t able to make out too much of what was said. But, after that particular passenger was asked to leave the bus, he was frisked and questioned. I heard him say, “Si mimi!” (It’s not me). Regardless of his claims of innocence, our bus driver pulled away without him. I walked to Nakumatt and bought a razor, toothbrush, and toothpaste.

Remembering that yesterday was Bishop’s birthday, I bought a cake mix for Angela and me to bake for him. When I reached the house, I discovered that the plug for the stove wasn’t in proper working order. Ah, Angela and I were disappointed and resigned ourselves to the fact that there would be a birthday celebration without a cake! However, Bishop came home early in the evening and did a “jua kali” repair job on it (“jerry-rigged” it) for us. We successfully got the cake baked! Cyrus, Davis, Edward, and Mama Lucy joined us for dinner and the simple celebration.

Friday, July 20 – When I awoke and turned on my phone, there was a text message from BA (British Airways):

*ONE BAG FOR SMITH/DEBRA HAS ARRVD NAIROBI FRM LONDON*.

Hallelujah! I caught the City Hoppa bus once again, now familiar with the security check routine. I had to hunt through a few hundred bags! My, my… they all began to look alike after a while. Finally, almost at the end of the haphazard rows upon rows of bags, I found one that looked familiar! And, to add to my joy, it was the one with my clothes and shoes!

They have assured me that the other one will arrive by Sunday evening, which the next opportunity I’ll have to get to the airport.

* * * * * * * * * *

All is as it was.

  • Traffic is utter chaos and the internet remains as slow as molasses. (Guess I was rather spoiled with the convenience of fairly fast and free Wi-Fi in my bedroom in the States!)
  • Mosquitoes disturb me at night and rob me of sleep.
  • Pollution and dust are rife in the air.
  • Odors, filth, and noise are still ever present.
  • The roads are in the same deplorable condition.

Besides all these “normal” annoyances, my jetlag, and my missing bags… it is absolutely wonderful to be home! Kenyans are wonderful people – humble, simple, warm, and friendly.
It always just feels right that I’m here.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers for me! I appreciate it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

mom, i loved to read your story. glad you are back in kenya safely! it was great being able to see you the couple times while you were in the states! love you!

-jessica

Anonymous said...

deb, i am pleased to know of your safe arrival to kenya. it is a wonderful place that i hope to one day get back to. thanks for the comments on the wanjala household. i agree that the food and chai prepared in their house is wonderful! i really miss it. i am also thankful for jb's good news on being able to take classes. she is a wonderful woman with a big heart. please tell bishop happy belated birthday. i did not realize that his birthday is just a couple of days after mine. i'll have to make note for future reference. please tell bishop, margaret, the children, jb mama lucy i said hello. i will continue to keep you as well as bishops family in prayer. may God bless, keep and guide you daily as you walk with him in the wonderful land of kenya. love you lady! karla wright

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb....
Enjoyed reading about your travels back to Kenya and an up-date on Justus, Margaret and family. Sorry to hear about their dog. He and I got along very well. The first time we met, Justus informed me he was very mean and would bite. I had him eating out of my hand in just a few minutes (dog whisperer). I understand, however, that others were not so fortunate!! I am so amused about the new no-smoking laws in the major cities: Mombassa, Nairobi, and I think Eldoret is next in line. They think nothing of the industrial smoke, diesel fumes, dust, foul odors from garbage, etc yet want to fine those who smoke and throw them in jail for a month or two. Each time I go to Nairobi I am amazed at the pollution, yet they are going to ban smoking! The Kenyan way, God bless their little souls( that's a southern expression). As always, I am envious that you are there and I am here. So sorry I won't be able to come in September with the team. Next year, for sure! Please give my love to Bishop and family. Be safe, be blessed and go with God. Marti and family send greetings.
Love from Kentucky...
Wafula

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Deb. Glad to see you made the trip well and life is getting back to normal for you. I will pray for you there in Kenya....I am sure that you would remember to pray for me as I go through the healing process necessary for complete recovery. You can simply pray that all tumors and whatever is causing them will be shut down and dissapear completely.

Sorry to have missed your farewell back to Kenya.....isn't it nice to have a blog site!?

Prayers and love to you

Bonnie Matulka

Unknown said...

Deb, I am glad to know that you are back home safely. I really enjoy reading your blog on your travel. May God Bless you on all your endeavors.

Love you,

Amelia

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,
I finally got to sit and "devour" your blog upon your arrival home.
Praise to the Lord for all your luggage arriving.
Today I prayed Habakkuk 2:3 for you: "As your Heavenly Father, I have placed dreams and visions within your heart. Do not become discouraged and let go of them. Your vision is for a specific time. Though it may be delayed, wait patiently for it, for you will not be disappointed for I will surely bring it to pass in My perfect timing."
Thankful for your friendship, thankful you are home safely, thankful for your dreams and visions in your heart, and thankful that you do not let go of them. Blessings Special Friend,
Marge

Anonymous said...

Deb! It is so good to hear that you arrived safe, and that God provided in small/big ways! I love the pictures that you put up. I wish I was there. I love how God shows His love toward us through the daily things in life! :-) I'll keep on praying for you and the others!
-Blessings
-Sophie