07 February 2013

Flash back to January 2008 (#1): A 5-year old prayer letter


On Monday, March 4th, the citizens of Kenya will participate in a pivotal election. After their last presidential election in December 2007, things did not go well and the country descended into two months of what has become known as 'post-election violence' or PEV.

I was here during that sad moment in this nation's history. I grieved along with my many close Kenyan friends.

Naturally, I find myself doing a bit of reflecting back to those two months. I thought perhaps you might like to re-read my prayer letter from January 2008:

I, Deb, am under God’s plan as a missionary, a special agent of Christ Jesus, writing to you faithful readers of my blog. I greet you with the grace and peace poured into our lives by God our Father and our Master, Jesus Christ. 
-Ephesians 1: 1, 2 
(this passage and the other three from Ephesians are my personalized paraphrases of The Message version)


It’s been a hard year but I’m climbing out of the rubble. 
-“Less Like Scars” by Sara Groves

Indeed, it has been a hard year! My Dad died, my house at Matunda was broken into three times (with numerous items stolen), I suffered serious injuries when I was hit by a car, and Kenya is currently in much turmoil after a very controversial presidential election.

“Whenever you obey God, His seal is always that of peace, the witness of an unfathomable peace, which is not natural, but the peace of Jesus.” 
-Oswald Chambers

I do have peace about being in Kenya, in spite of the many challenges. Fortunately, there are also many rewarding moments.

“God created me by Christ Jesus to join Him in the work He does, the good work He has gotten ready for me to do, work I had better be doing.” 
-Ephesians 2:10

“He’s using me in what He’s building. He used the apostles and prophets for the foundation. Now He’s using me.” 
-Ephesians 2:21

I often feel a sense of satisfaction that I am in God’s perfect will and that He is using me. How incredibly amazing that He would use me! I continually marvel at that.

“Any problem, and there are many, that is alongside me while I obey God, increases my ecstatic delight, because I know that my Father knows, and I am going to watch and see how He unravels this thing.” 
-Oswald Chambers


As it says in II Chronicles, at times I don’t know what to do, but my eyes are always on God! I look to Him for my guidance, provision, and comfort. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me!

Don’t forget to pray for me. Pray that I’ll know what to say and have the courage to say it at the right time, telling the message that I am responsible for getting out. 
-Ephesians 6: 19, 20

- - - - - - 

Please pray with me that this upcoming election - the first under Kenya's new constitution - will be democratic, transparent, and orderly.
.

No comments: