29 March 2015

Without Jesus, I am nothing; a profound story of a humble donkey

A friend and I spent several hours together working on a project in my small newly-created garden space.

While doing so, we discussed the familiar story of Palm Sunday:

Jesus headed to Jerusalem. When he got near the mountain called Olives, he sent off two of the disciples with instructions: “Go to the village across from you. As soon as you enter, you’ll find a donkey tethered, one that has never been ridden. Untie it and bring it. If anyone asks, ‘What are you doing?’ say, ‘His Master needs him.’”

The two left and found it just as he said. As they were untying the donkey, its owners said, “What are you doing untying this animal?”


The disciples replied, “His Master needs him,” and they brought the donkey to Jesus.

Then, throwing their coats on the donkey's back, they helped Jesus get on. As he rode the donkey, the large crowd of people gave Jesus a grand welcome, throwing their coats on the street and waving palm branches. They joyfully sang and shouted, "Hosanna, hosanna!"

- - - - - - - - - -
After Dan and I had discussed the story, he asked me an interesting question -

Deb, did you ever wonder about that donkey the day after Palm Sunday?

When I responded that I hadn't, Dan shared a simple - but profound - version of what may have happened:
- - - - - - - - - -

The day after Palm Sunday the donkey was out in the field grazing with the other donkeys, just like any other ordinary day of its life. One of the other donkeys was perplexed and said to him,

“Yesterday you were being celebrated. And now today, you’re here just eating grass with the rest of us. Why is that? Why aren’t you being celebrated again today?”

The donkey humbly replied,
Oh, my donkey friend, you are very mistaken. Yesterday the crowd was celebrating Jesus! They weren't celebrating me. I was very privileged and honored to carry him, but you see ...
... without Jesus, I am nothing but an ordinary donkey! .

1 comment:

Grandma Mary said...

How true! Great story!! PTL