10 December 2015

Joyful Expectancy; A great day at Matunda, my old stomping grounds


For nine years I frequented Matunda, a large market on the highway between Eldoret and Kitale. But in the past few years, I have mostly traveled past it without stopping. Recently I enjoyed a fabulous day there with good friends... including one I hadn't seen for a long time.

The selfie above was taken while on the back of a motorbike taxi, heading down the highway, with Deb seated in front of me.


"Handwriting corner"

I met Nathan, Alice, and Deb at Fountain Grammar School, just past Matunda market. We met with the deputy principal and a secretary, discussing details for Deb to enter the school as a boarder in January.


Deb, proudly sporting her new school track suit in front of the gate

Getting fitted by a tailor for one of her dress uniforms

Later we all enjoyed chicken, chips, and a soda at Olive Inn

I've known Nathan and Alice since I first stepped foot in Kenya and we've been good friends ever since. They used to live just down the hill from my mud hut and had me over for dinner many, many times. Deb, who was named for me, is their second-born and has five brothers.


Deb's youngest brother enjoyed his lunch
and even ate one of the chicken bones!

As we moved around the market, I saw several old
friends, including this fellow from whom I have
bought many newspapers through the years.



A wonderful unexpected surprise to our day was reconnecting with this young man, Martin. He used to hang out with me when he was between 5-8 years old, helping me with various chores and projects at my mud house. We couldn't communicate very well because of the language barrier, but he had an uncanny sense of knowing just what to do next in order to help me. Now 18-years old, he's had a tough life in recent years, losing both of his parents.


Nathan and Alice were also very happy to see him again!

As soon as we abandon ourselves to God 
and do the task He has placed closest to us, 
He begins to fill our lives with surprises. 

When we have the right relationship with God, 
life is full of spontaneous, joyful uncertainty and expectancy.
~ Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest

In an effort to earn his daily bread, Martin hires this motorbike and uses it as a taxi.

No comments: