19 April 2016

Generosity in giving of oneself; some quite interesting math at a wedding





Generosity in Giving of Oneself
by Scott E. Shaum, Barnabas International



When Jesus, his disciples, and his mother were at a wedding in Cana of Galilee, he found out there wasn't enough wine.

Six stoneware water pots were there, each able to hold twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus ordered the servants to fill the pots with water; they did so all the way to the brim.


“Now fill your pitchers and take them to the host,” Jesus said. When the host tasted the water that had become wine, he called out to the bridegroom, “Everybody I know begins with their finest wines and after the guests have had their fill brings in the cheap stuff. But you’ve saved the best till now!”

- - - - -
This act in Cana of Galilee was the first sign Jesus gave and the first glimpse of his glory. And his disciples believed in him.

What was it that the disciples saw when Jesus manifested his glory? Is “glory” referring to a display of Jesus’ power? Is that what so impressed the disciples to the point of belief?


The math
John says the six jars were 20 to 30 gallons each. So how much is 120-130 gallons of wine? 

Today, bottles of wine are typically 700ml. I did the math. It's impressive! 

That feast became one big party when Jesus provided what was the equivalent of between 650 and 970 bottles


That is a lot of wine. 

What is John getting at with these details?
This absurd amount of wine at a small village wedding feast was but a glimpse into the reality that would be fully displayed on the cross. 

Our God’s glory is his love. First, the love between the Father and the Son by the Spirit throughout all eternity. And then that same love poured out to us in Christ. 

Our God is a generous God, ever lavishing himself toward us. 

Generosity is relational
Generosity is the giving of oneself to another. It's not a determination I muster up within myself. I don’t get pumped up by a sermon or a book to give more of myself, then go out and try harder. 

As in everything, generosity is relational. My God ever pours himself into me. Then he overflows in my life towards others. This can come through in many ways, like listening to another’s heart.

The principle
In order for me to be a generous giver of myself to others, I must be taught by God how to be a practical receiver of himself. 

As he pours into me, he then overflows through me to others.

- - - - -
The above is an excerpt from the blog Tending Scattered Wool; Reflections on Shepherding Cross-Cultural Workers.
You can see Scott's full article here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed these thoughts on Jesus turning water to wine. God is so good!!
Nancy S.