05 January 2007

January 2007 Prayer Letter

Praise -

Collins and I recently spent 3 weeks together while he was out of school for the December month-long “holiday“. Part of our time together was on the road; we visited Charles and Agnes and their boys (including Duane) near Bukembe and also Karo’s parents in Siaya to see their newly finished well. The remainder of the time was spent in Nairobi. We continue to develop and nurture this relationship ordained by God. He’s a great kid and I always enjoy our time together!

I took an incredible trip to the northwestern corner of Kenya. I’ve long desired to go there. I went with Kim (one of the young guys in my church homegroup). We visited Lodwar, Kakuma town, Kakuma Refugee Camp, and Lake Turkana. This part of Kenya can be a rather dangerous area to travel in (because of the Turkana, a war-like people group), but the Lord protected us. I’ll post some photos and comments about it in a week or two.

Prayer Requests -

I’ve had a bit of a struggle adjusting to all the climate and cultural differences, getting over jetlag and simultaneously dealing with my grief.

Please pray with me that I’ll walk in the steps God has ordered for me while I’m home and as I help my Mom in this transition period.


A verse I had been meditating on for the last few weeks seems especially appropriate now that I’m home unexpectedly:


“Our very steps come from God; otherwise how would we know where we’re going?” Proverbs 20:24 (Message)


And these excerpts from Oswald Chambers’ early January readings also seem quite appropriate:

“I do not know what I’m going to do; the only thing I know is that God knows what He’s doing. God doesn’t tell me what He’s going to do - He reveals to me who He is. Will I completely surrender to Him until I’m not surprised one iota by anything He does?”

“As I go forth into the coming year, let it not be in the haste of impetuous, forgetful delight... but with the patient power of knowing God will go before me.”

“Step out into the invincible future with God.”

“As the attitude of my life becomes a continual willingness to ‘go out’ in dependence upon God, my life will have a sacred and inexpressible charm about it that is very satisfying to Jesus.”


Even though I’m not currently on the “mission field” of Kenya, while I’m at home in the States, I’ll still need to depend upon the generosity of some of you to support me financially. You can do so in one of two ways:

Direct -

Deb Smith
PO Box 34083
Omaha, NE 68134


OR through

Ripe For Harvest -
2824 N. Power Road #113282
Mesa, AZ 85215-1674
NOTE: Indicate #98 on your check


Thanks so much for all of your prayer and financial support! I do not take it for granted!

No comments: