05 January 2007

My Dad's Heart - A Tribute



Duane Desler was a great man. I was privileged to call him Dad.

As we look back on his life, perhaps it could be said that he died due to a weak heart. But that would only address his physical heart - the one that pumped blood and sustained his life. In fact, that heart was tired and weak.

But what simply cannot be ignored was his other heart - the essence of who he was. That heart was strong and vibrant! It was healthy and alive!

He had a heart of gold! The words patient, kind, and generous fit him like a glove. Dad was a stable rock for our family, a quiet pillar of strength for each one of us. Following my divorce, he willingly stepped into the role of being a Dad for my four children. Truly, if anything good can be said about me or my kids, much of the credit goes to my Dad. The faithful example he set and what he imparted into each of us is invaluable and beyond words.

Dad loved the Lord with all his heart! He loved to worship Him and nurtured a hunger for reading and studying God’s Word. He had a love for numbers and in a rather unique and fascinating way, that was a favorite method he had of worshipping His Lord.

Dad reached out, in his own simple and quiet manner, and left an impact on everyone he encountered. His influence even reached beyond the shores of United States. A 2-year old Kenyan boy bears his name; he’s likely the only Duane in all of East Africa!

Dad always had time to listen wholeheartedly, giving his undivided attention. Dad was always supportive of anything I set out to do. He was a ready source of wisdom and advice.

He had a servant’s heart. Whatever needed to be done, he did it with true humility and selflessness.

Dad’s insatiable curiosity and untiring quest to discover his world rubbed off on me. Who I am today is a direct result of my Dad’s influence.

I pray that I can live up to the incredible legacy my Dad left!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Deb,
What a precious and accurate description of your dad as I remember him! I had so many memories of his arrival to pick Terran up at preschool and the interest he took in all his day's involvement there. Words like gentle, caring, servant all came to mind when we found out about his home-going. Thank you for sharing your special words of love about him. The photos are so special to us of your beautiful family whom we have known for the last 20 some years.
"Following My instructions for living that I have written in My Word will profit you in every way. My promised blessings are not only for heaven, but for right now on earth." (see I Tim. 4:8)
Loving you and your whole family,
Marge

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb...
Was shocked when I opened your email/blog to find out about your father. I am so sorry to hear this news. Eight years ago, I lost my father, and we, too, were separated by an ocean when he passed. I am also sorry I was not able to meet your father...on this side, the cornhusker side. As always, you remain in my prayers.
Blessings and love from Kentucky (Isn't Kentucky on the way from Nebraska to Kenya..we've got room)
Wafula

Mrs. Gresham's All-stars said...

I opened the pictures/blog at work about a week ago. I thought that if I truly wanted to enjoy it, I better wait until I have more time (at home). I tend to be in a big hurry at work. The pictures all turned out superb!!!! I have always enjoyed looing at pictures. My intentions are to print them and treasure them forever. Keep up all the wonderful work that you are doing for the grace of God. Tell Auntie "M" that I said "hi." Tell your brother that my refridgerator is running just fine. Talk to you later. Jan. 19th