01 June 2007

Kakuma Refugee Camp






Kim and I both know several refugees that have lived at Kakuma Refugee Camp. They've come from Sudan, Rwanda, and other countries. Because we've heard their stories, we really wanted to see it with our own eyes.

The camp is run by the UNHCR (United Nations High Commission for Refugees). At the peak of the exodus from south Sudan, 90,000 people called this informal settlement "home". The population has since decreased somewhat, as some of the refugees from south Sudan are returning home. The current influx of refugees are from the Darfur area of Sudan.

Kim and I spent 3 days there, and stayed right in the camp (at the compound for US FilmAid, an agency of the UNHCR). We learned so much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your photos of Kakuma Refugee Camp -- a place I had actually wanted to visit last time i was there. You're living my life, Deb!