04 August 2007

My Matunda House

Situation
I had received word while I was in the States, that my mud hut had been broken into a 2nd time. Collins had told me that all the furniture was still there. He wasn’t sure what might be missing.

My Thoughts
Concern, much time praying about it, “Is it really worth all the troubles I encounter by living there?”, apprehension regarding what I might find when I arrived.

Meditation
“I will apprehend that for which I was apprehended. I will forget what is behind and stain toward what is ahead.” (Phil. 3)
I meditated on and proclaimed these verses as I traveled from Eldoret to Matunda.

My Arrival on Thursday
Discovered that my key wouldn’t open the gate padlock. It was very rusty! My friend, Ben, happened to come by and was able to jiggle it open! Nathan told me later that he’d been unable to get it open that very same morning. “It defeated me, completely!’

House
Dirty, but no more than normal really when I’m away for long periods. Nathan had done a bit of tidying up. First glance seemed to indicate that not much was missing.

Hours Cleaning
Five the 1st day and three the 2nd day. But, I really went through things and got rid of some stuff. It’s now cleaner that it’s been in some time.

Not Gone
My Oswald Chambers journal (likely my most treasured possession at the house), photos (my kids, grandkids, parents, and Pastor Martin’s family), wall hangings, solar panel battery, all bedding, all dishes, etc.

Missing
Solar panel cables (seems to indicate it’s the same thief as the first time), flip flops (and in their stead is a strange pair, likely those of the thief’s), clothes pins (of all things), flashlight, straw hat (that Collins liked to wear), fleece jacket and other clothes, magnifying glass, a few tools, and other small miscellaneous items.

Who is the Thief?
Who can know? Everyone and their brother has a theory. I'm not concerned with finding him/her, nor am I concerned with the things that were stolen.

My Final Thoughts
Oswald Chambers (Aug. 2nd) – “An average view of the Christian life is that it means deliverance from trouble. It is deliverance in trouble, which is very different. God does not give us overcoming life. He gives us life as we overcome. The strain is the strength. If there is no strain, there is no strength. Accept the strain. Immediately you face the strain, you will get the strength.”

(Aug. 3rd) – “We have no concept of what God is aiming at, and as we go on it gets more and more vague.”

I’ve never completely understood why exactly God has me at Matunda. This I do know: I maintain sort of a love/hate relationship with the place. I’ve endured a myriad of trials there. This is but the latest in the series.


But... I will continue on there - through the strain - until He says otherwise.


“The lines of purpose in our lives never grow slack, tightly tied as they are to your future in heaven, kept taut by hope.”

Colossians 1 (The Message)


Neighborhood News
There’s a white cat hanging around my house. He likes to nap on my bed or in my lap. I like him. Hopefully he’ll keep any and all snakes and rats away!

I hung a sheet on the doorway to my choo, in lieu of a door. It’s wonderful to use my own private toilet!

Nathan and Alice had another boy, born on July 30th.

The school on the compound closed yesterday. Ah! The sound of silence! I love it!

The trees are okay. The lantana hedge isn’t looking the greatest. Nathan has planted some other plants to hopefully fill in some of the gap areas. It’s been raining a lot. This year’s rains can truly be called “long rains”. The nights are chilly, but the afternoons can be hot (if it's not raining).

My long-time favorite boda boda driver, Wycliff, has “shifted” to Narok to make charcoal. I’ll miss him.

Collins and I are in Kitale today. Tomorrow (Sunday) we’ll travel to see Agnes and her new baby.


Nairobi News
Bishop’s church was once again demolished (yesterday). He had just constructed this one a few months ago. They just finished up some of the final touches this past week.

Those of you that know him personally or through my book, please be in prayer for him, Margaret, and the entire congregation!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Deb,
I know it was hard to travel to your place not knowing what you would find. I prayed for your hut, for your belongings, for safety as you arrived. I'm sorry for the things you lost, but grateful for those you still have.
God says in Rev. 3:7,8 "Deb, I am your Heavenly Father, and I always speak the truth. I know the purpose of your life, so don't be discouraged when something you were hoping for does not or did not occur. When the time is right, I will open a door for you, and no man will be able to close it."
Praying for your open door and freedom from discouragement,
Marge

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb,
Keep on persevering! You are a great model to many people here, and I'm sure many of the Kenyan's. I love the verse that Marge gave you...hold onto that.
-Father, thank You for Deb and Your dream that You have given her. Would You continue to guide and protect her. Continue to provide for her every need. Thank You Father for what You have done in and through her. We look forward to what You have in store. Amen!!
-Sophie

Anonymous said...

Many blessings to you, Deb, as you persevere. Cindy