06 August 2007

Snacks Readily Available on the Streets of Kenya


Inside these paper cones (usually recycled computer printer paper) are "groundnuts" (peanuts). A cone like these in the picture sells for 10-bob (14 cents). Sometimes smaller ones are available at 5-bob. I like them!


This guy is fanning the coals to keep them hot. He's preparing "roasted maize" - another favorite snack of mine in Kenya. A whole cob also goes for 10-bob. Or you can get a half of one for 5-bob. It's rather chewy, but I like it. Yum, yum!



This lady is selling sugar cane. It's not really one of my favorites, but I do get it once in a while. When it's juicy, it's pretty good. She'll peel and cut up one of the long stalks for 20-bob (28 cents). It's a strange item to eat. You bite off a piece and chew on it for a few minutes. Then you spit out the fiber.

I love the availability of such snacks on the streets of Kenya. You can also get fresh fruit - pineapple, avocado, bananas, papaya, oranges, and sometimes apples - most anywhere for very reasonable prices.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pics. The smells, sights and sounds came back to me for a brief moment in such a real way. You know I'm missing all of it!

C

Anonymous said...

Oh Deb, Thank you for sharing your search for Mark Deng Deng. I just couldn't stop reading your account.
This is so what God has prepared you to do, to be - the encouragement to the lonley and hurting.
"I know you intimately. I know what your are thinking and how you feel. Every moment, I am aware of where you are. As you walk the path of life, I will be with you and watch over you. Count your blessings and know that every one of them has come from My hand." Ps 139:3,5
Marge

Anonymous said...

this is an astonishing event. I think we should all know what finally happens to Mark.My family will pray for him as he strives for education.
Gladys vermillion

Anonymous said...

I'll come back to the article later ...

Now,

How are you feeling today?


- Alu

Anonymous said...

Deb, I read the whole story about Mark Deng Deng Meyer. It was worth the time and staying up late to read it. Your diligence to find Deng Deng is so awesome. I'd of done the same thing if I were with you. You are consistantly in my prayers. Love you, Maria