15 September 2007

Conclusion to "Resist the Pull"

12) Conclusion

There was a period in David’s life when he did not resist the pull. In Psalm 51, we read his prayer as he repented of his sin. Verse 12 says, “Restore to me the joy of your salvation.”

Earlier, we looked at Revelation, chapter 3. Remember that passage of Scripture addressed a church (the one in Laodicea). It was written to people just like you and me – people that warm the pews every Sunday. This church was lukewarm towards God and focused entirely on themselves.

Just a few verses further down, Revelation 3:19, 20 - Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

Let me challenge you:

Have you grown lukewarm?

Are you giving away your life, like Jesus did? OR, are you living for self?

Do you need to purify your inner life?

Is your entire life fit for the worship of God?

OR, do you have gods you need to throw away?

Do you deal as sparingly as possible with the things the world thrusts at you?

Have you become so absorbed and exhausted taking care of your day-to-day obligations, that you’ve dozed off and become oblivious to God?

Are you tied down to the mundane?

Have you been lured away from the simple purity of your love for Christ?

Have you chosen an opportunistic soft life of sin?

Has busyness pulled you away, like Martha?

Is your “barn” full of self, like the rich fool?

Is the song of the world, like the call of the sirens, calling you?

Be about your Father’s business.

Seize the day.

Be alert, stand firm.

Wake up from your slumber!

Resist… the pull!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wake up call. I liked Luke 21 alot.Happiness and self worth do not come from bigger barns. Hope to see your Mom this week. Gladys

Anonymous said...

Deb,

My wife and I, read most of your sermon and found it to be quite oompeling and accurate. I look forward to coming to Kenya just to visually put things back into perspective. I've had the ability to visit so called "third world countries" and have seen first hand just how bless Americans are and how much we take for granted.

Reggie & Lindalou