29 February 2008

March Prayer Letter

"I’m not one of your professional prophets.
I certainly never trained to be one.
I’m just a shepherd and I take care of fig trees.
But the Lord called me and told me to go.”
Amos 7:14, 15 (The Message)

I could paraphrase that to say –

“I’m not a professional missionary.

I certainly never trained to be one.

I was just a part-timer at my church and I did remodeling.

But the Lord called me and told me to go.”


My prayer letter for this month is brief. There are two things I'm praising the Lord for:

  • I praise the Lord for the continued healing of my injuries. It’s now been six months since the accident.
  • Somewhat tethered to Nairobi (with all the political unrest in Kenya), I’ve had some great times of “hanging-out” ministry at my house. I’ve hosted many friends for meals and/or overnight. Also, my old homegroup guys and I have started another fellowship group. We meet (at my house) on Saturday evenings. We’ve been discussing Tim LaHaye’s material on temperaments for the past few weeks.

There are two issues you could join with me in prayer:

  • My work permit/visa expires in May. I’ve started the process of renewing it. Such types of paperwork can be an exercise of frustration (at best) and almost futility (at worst) in Kenya! The Immigration offices at Nyayo House can seem like an unending quagmire of ever-changing bureaucracy and red-tape. Please pray that it will be granted and that it will go smoothly.
  • I’ve been asked to head up a new “benevolence committee” at my church. We have numerous regular attendees that are in need and ask for help. It’s hard to know who to help and who to turn away. This committee will provide a filter for evaluating such requests for assistance. Please pray for us as we form the group and then as we begin the process of establishing a policy to govern ourselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb...
Have been searching the news daily for a spark of hope for Kenya, and it appears there is a bit of light now in all the past darkness. Thanks for the great update from Kenya. I am overjoyed, but admit, a bit tentative in my rejoicing...there is much to work out. But God's arm is not too short and the wonderful people of Kenya are certainly up to the task.
Now I pray harder!!! Give my love to Bishop and his family when you see them next. Much love to you from Kentucky...
Wafula