05 May 2008

Glimpses of Life in Kenya

A Waiter

For quite some time, Freddy’s has been my favorite café whenever I pass through Eldoret. Recently, as I entered, it was readily apparent that they didn’t have power. Often they have a TV and a radio loudly competing with one another. On this day, not only was there silence, but it was rather dark inside.

I wondered if I’d be able to order anything. The fact that the friendly waiter seated me and handed me a menu seemed to be a good sign.

I ordered my usual menu item – Freddy’s sandwich. The waiter smiled and left to place my order. In a short time he came back. “I’m sorry, but we can’t prepare that because there’s no power and it has to be toasted.” I told him that was okay; I’d take it without it being toasted.

Again he left. And again he came back after a short time. “I’m sorry, but we can’t prepare it without power. Part of it has to be done in a microwave.”

“Then, what can you prepare for me?”

“I’m sorry. But actually we can’t prepare anything without power.”

“Then why did you seat me and hand me a menu? Why are we even having this conversation?”

“I’m sorry. That’s why I’m apologizing.”



A Waitress

Last December, when I was in Ukunda visiting Masudi, I took him out for lunch. Joining us were the two young boys he stays with – Dennis and Mumo. Masudi had suggested a particular café. When our food was brought to us, I asked ten-year old Mumo if he’d say the blessing. It was readily apparent that he was much too shy for such a task; he silently looked to his older brother for help. Instead of putting Dennis on the spot, I asked Masudi.

Ha! Before Masudi even had a chance, our young waitress volunteered.

Before any of us really realized what was happening, she said, “Let’s pray,” and then proceeded to pray for our meal. When she finished, Masudi and I grinned at each other.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh that first one just made me giggle!!!