01 August 2008

August Prayer Letter

In the past, I’ve always gone to cyber cafés to use the internet. It’s almost always a frustrating experience, with equipment that often doesn’t work, the internet connection slow as molasses or down completely, or no power at all. Finally, by using some birthday money, I now have internet in my own home! I love it and wonder why on earth I waited so long to do it! An added bonus is that I can use the wireless desk phone to call the States for half as much as it cost with my cell phone. Here I am talking to my grandson, Tony.



This is my new alien card. I just had it renewed after letting it expire way back in 2002. I’ve never really understood their purpose (other than extra money for the government), so I had never renewed it. However (as I mentioned a couple of months ago), I have recently become more and more aware that I am, in fact, an alien living in a foreign country. So… I’ve been actively and consciously renewing my mind in that regard and decided it was high time to be a card-carrying alien! The cards run in conjunction with work permits, so when I renewed that recently, I also renewed the alien status. Silly me, I had to pay all the back amounts anyway. The process is rather strange; they fingerprint every single finger – not once, but twice! Then we have to wait 5-6 weeks to collect the card.

Nevertheless, that’s all behind me.

Debra Ann Smith is once again a bona-fide, official, and legal alien of the Republic of Kenya.



August 2008 Prayer Letter

When I was in the States just over a year ago, I sent out support letters, refrigerator magnets, and bookmarks to many of you. I recently ran across one of the bookmarks and re-read the excellent prayer suggestions on the back. They’re taken from an article titled, “How to Pray for Missionaries”, written by David Wang and published in Mission Today, May 1994. The following modified excerpts can be used as a guide to praying for me:

  • Plead the protection of Jesus’ blood over me. Diseases, language barriers, strange customs, oppression of the enemy, and difficult circumstances can take their toll.
  • Pray that I will know God’s rest and peace.
  • Pray for my safety as I travel throughout Kenya.
  • The natural love of the human heart will fail many times. Pray that the love of Christ will fill me.
  • How easy it is to labor in the arm of the flesh, depending on one’s own strength, wisdom, and ability – but how futile. Satan recognizes no power, but the power of God. Pray for the anointing of God to rest on me.
  • Pray that I may be continually filled with the Holy Spirit.
  • Pray knowledgeably. Be specific, systematic, and steadfast in praying for my real and defined needs. Pray consistently. Pray believing.
  • Give God the praise due Him for answers to my prayer requests. As you pray, praise Him for the answers before they are manifested. Prayer is mighty, but prayer with praise is mightier.



The Final Analysis
by Mother Teresa

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are honest and sincere, people may deceive you;
Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others may destroy overnight;
Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today will often be forgotten;
Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.



Recent items in the news:

A wave of student unrest has hit Kenya. Approximately 300 boarding high schools have closed (both rural and urban) due to students going on “strike”. Much property has been destroyed and many buildings have been burned down. One student died in a dormitory fire. Various reasons have been cited, including difficult mock and regular exams coming up, unheeded grievances by the students, poor parenting, drug abuse, etc.

Inflation is close to 30% in Kenya. Areas that especially affect the average citizen are food prices and cooking fuel. Gasoline is currently $6.00 per gallon! The cost of electricity has just doubled!

The latest health statistics show that Aids infections are increasing in most parts of Kenya. According to statistics, 1.4 million Kenyans aged 15-64 years live with HIV. The report released this week shows that 7.8% of the population has Aids. Nyanza province is the worst affected, with a rate of 15.3%. 60% of those infected are women. In 10% of married couples, at least one partner has HIV. Over 50% of Kenyan women and 75% of the men have not had an HIV test. A worrying 80% of those that are HIV-positive do not know their status.

On the average, 81% of the world’s population receives their mail at home. Across Kenya and all of Africa, only 22% have mail delivered to their homes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb...
Enjoyed reading your latest update on your life in Kenya. Was out early this morning walking and praying for all my Kenyan friends...you included (alien Kenyan friend). Loved the pictures of your latest bike adventure. It is my hope that someday on one of my trips, I will be able to hike in the Ngong Hills; they are so very beautiful. Love the quotes from Mother Teresa. She is one of my favorite people. Last year I read the book, Mother Teresa-Come Be My Light. I highly recommend it. My favorite Mother Theresa quote is "Accept all that He gives, and give whatever He takes with a big smile. For this is holiness-to do His will with a big smile." She certainly lived by this. So smile big today as you are doing His will, accepting all that He gives and giving whatever He takes! Miss Kenya and all that she offers, inclding your smile, so I'll settle for now with your pictures...thanks.
Love from Kentucky...
Wafula