07 October 2013

12 Years in Kenya; A Keen and Resolute Focus

Maintaining a keen and resolute focus on my God-given purpose is my primary aim in life.

Recently, while reading through the book of John, I was amazed to discover just how incredibly often this very theme is played out in the earthly life and spoken words of Jesus. As a matter of fact, examples are prevalent throughout the book.

Indeed… it becomes glaringly obvious to conclude that Jesus had only one thing on his mind: to do the will of His Father. Nothing else mattered to Him.

Allow me to share what I discovered about Jesus’ keen sense of purpose. By studying His approach, I gleaned principles for my own life.

NOTE: To keep this posting from being too long, I’ve only shared one verse of Scripture to illustrate each point in the outline. However, there are actually several examples on many of the points. And, unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture passages are from the New Living Translation.


SUCCEEDING IN MY MINISTRY REQUIRES:

1. A keen sense of purpose –
“For God the Father has sent me for that very purpose.” John 6:27

2. A definitive awareness of my identity –
“I know where I came from and where I am going.” John 8:14

3. A decisive knowledge of my destiny –
These things happened in fulfillment of the Scriptures. John 19:36

4. A succinct mission statement –
“I am the way, the truth, and the life.” John 14:6

5. Resolutely holding fast –
“I will do what the Father requires of me.” John 14:31

6. Undeviating single-mindedness –
“I have come to save the world and not to judge it.” John 12:47 

7. A proper understanding of submission and a subsequent realization that my life is not my own –
“I am come to do the will of God, who sent me, not to do what I want.” John 6:38

8. Focusing on and seeing things from God’s point of view –
“You are seeing things merely from a human point of view, and not from God’s.” Matthew 16:23

9. A tenacious aim to please my Master –
“I do nothing without consulting the Father.” John 5:30

10. An acute sensitivity regarding timing –
“Now is not the right time for me to go.” John 7:6

11. An appropriate perception of urgency –
“I don’t have much more time to talk to you.” John 14:30

12. A willingness to be placed under scrutiny –
“Don’t believe me unless I carry out my Father’s work.” John 10:37

13. Ignoring the ever-present public opinion and criticism –
“But my purpose is not to get your vote, and not to appeal to mere human testimony.” John 5:31 (Message)

14. A willingness to not follow the accepted norms of the day –
“[Jesus] is working on the Sabbath.” John 8:16

15. Spending purposeful and restful time alone with my Lord –
Afterward he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there by himself alone. John 6:15

16. Finishing my assignment –
Jesus knew that everything was now finished. John 19:28 


FOLLOWING MY PURPOSE WILL INVITE:

1. Opposition –
So the Jewish leaders began harassing Jesus for breaking the Sabbath rules. John 5:16

2. Disrespect –
Now Jesus Himself had pointed out that a prophet has no honor in his own country. John 4:43 (NIV)

3. Misunderstandings –
Jesus saw that they were ready to take him by force and make him king, so he went higher into the hills alone. John 6:15

4. Ridicule –
“Go where your followers can see your miracles!” they scoffed… For even his brothers didn’t believe in him. John 7:1-9

5. Difficulties –
“Shall I not drink from the cup the Father has given me?” John 18:11

6. Wilderness Experiences –
Then Jesus was led out into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit. Matthew 4:1


FOLLOWING MY PURPOSE WILL BRING:

1. An ultimate sense of worth and accomplishment –
“My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work.” John 4:34

2. Glory to God –
“I brought glory to You here on earth by doing everything You told Me to do.” John 17:4


NOTE: I originally posted this in November 2006. However, because the formatting of the original post got messed-up, I decided to bring it to the current list of posts. It's still quite relevant!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deb, I loved the Keen and Resolute Focus along with everything else; also, all the pics again! Thanks for sharing. I think of you often. God bless you, Deb. You are a witness to me of what God wants to do in one's life.
Sharon R.