07 April 2015

Trip to the Coast - Mombasa

Aluminum elephant tusks, built in 1956 after Princess Margaret visited the city


"When I became a missionary I was taught to lay my life down for others. I was meant to serve but no one told me there should be a line. I felt guilty if I put myself before someone else's needs.

"The reality is, God doesn’t want me to be miserable. Saying no isn’t selfish; it is healthy.

"If I take care of myself first, I will have so much more to give away to others. Self care is imperative. It’s important to know my limits and set them. Breaks should be mandatory."
~ Sarita Hartz, What I Wish I'd Known About Missionary Burnout

With the concept of self-care in mind, Hannah and I took a 12-day trip to Kenya's coast a couple months ago. We had an absolutely fabulous time!

Engaging with some spice vendors at MacKinnon Market

We spent quite a bit of time strolling around Old Town





The unrelenting heat and humidity prompted me to get my hair cut.

Vendors on Mama Ngina Drive - green coconut water and cassava chips

Children know how to find respite from the heat!

Note: Most of these photos were taken by Hannah

No comments: