05 May 2015

Christ's invitation is to join him in the yoke; recovering my life as I walk with him

 "If we set out to serve God and do his work, but get out of touch with him, the sense of responsibility we feel will be overwhelmingly crushing. But if we roll back on God the burdens he has placed on us, he will take away that immense feeling of responsibility, replacing it with an awareness and understanding of himself and his presence.

"Many servants set out to serve God with great courage and the right motives. But with no intimate fellowship with Jesus Christ, they are soon crushed and defeated. They do not know what to do with their burden and it produces weariness in their lives.

"You have been bearing it all, but you need to deliberately place one end on God's shoulder. Commit to God whatever burden he has placed on you. Don't cast it aside but put it over onto him and place yourself there with it. You will see that your burden is then lightened by the sense of companionship."  
~ Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest



Come to me, all you that are weary 
and are carrying heavy burdens. 
I will give you rest. 
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me - 
for I am gentle and humble in heart - 
and you will find rest for your souls. 
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30




"Christ’s invitation is to join him in the yoke so you can walk and work together. He doesn’t want just your burden - he wants you! God’s goal isn’t simply to give relief by removing a weighty trial; he longs to draw you to himself in a close and trusting relationship. As the weight of the affliction shifts from our shoulders to his, you will discover relief, although the situation may remain unchanged. Being yoked with Christ results in rest for your soul." ~ Charles Stanley, pastor and founder of In Touch Ministries

Are you tired and worn out?
Come to me and you'll recover your life.
I'll show you how to take a real rest.
Walk with me and work with me. Watch how I do it. 
I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. 
Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.
Matthew 11:28-30, Message 

No comments: