06 June 2016

I never liked the word 'missionary' (a blog piece); Don't call me a missionary (song lyrics)




Love People, Not Projects
      by Jamie Wright (2012)


I’ve never liked the word “missionary”. It’s a loaded word and makes people act funny.


We’ve watched our friends meet other missionaries and noticed that sometimes when they hear that word, something weird happens. Everybody feels judged, like they might be at risk of becoming the next missionary project. I don’t blame them.

Love people, not projects.

If there is one thing I’ve learned about loving people, it’s that nobody wants to be featured as a prayer point in your newsletter. Nobody wants to be your pet-project for Jesus. People aren’t meant to be projects.

Even people who have a desperate need, even people who are achingly afraid, even people who are longing for a Savior will feel the sting of loneliness that comes with being turned into a project for the sake of missions.

Nobody wants to be your project… but everybody wants to be your friend.

Most people would prefer your friendship to your “evangelism”. Of course, friendship requires a lot more of you.
  • Friendship must be nurtured. 
  • Friendship must be mutual and reciprocal. 
  • Friendship needs time and effort and, eventually, the sort of transparency that allows people not to see through you, but to see Jesus in you.
  • It’s a lot harder to make someone your friend than to turn them into your project. 

If you know how to be a good friend, 
then you’re more missionary than a lot of missionaries.

See full article at http://www.theveryworstmissionary.com/2012/05/love-people-not-projects.html

- - - - -





Don't Call Me a Missionary
    lyrics of song by Tom Schwartz (1988)



Don't ask me to be a hero
I'm not that kind of woman
Don't ask me to be a hero
I'm just doing what I can

Don't call me a missionary
The word sounds far too grand
I'm just another Christian
working in a foreign land

Please don't raise me to an elevated status
'cause I'm a sinner just like you
And it's the same Lord Jesus that I love,
the one whom you serve too

I have no special power
that came on me at my call
the Word of God and Holy Spirit
are the same tools for us all

Don't ask me to be a hero
I'm not that kind of woman
Don't ask me to be a hero
I'm just doing what I can

Don't call me a missionary
The word sounds far too grand
I'm just another Christian
working in a foreign land

https://www.reverbnation.com/worshippertom/song/4122991-dont-call-me-a-missionary

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great info especially about the word missionary. I agree it can cause people to put you on a pedestal or feel like they are your pet project.
Praying for you, Nancy Smith