11 April 2017

Catching up, Nov/Dec 2016: Shimba Hills - A boda boda ride, including some unexpected stops


When the time came for me to leave Katunge's house and Shimba Hills, Modi walked me up to the market area to get a boda boda (motorbike taxi). This is a very common way for me to travel, especially in the rural areas.

As we headed down the sandy road, we passed by several people walking to their destinations; the two women above are an example.

I hope you'll enjoy these photos from my journey of unexpected interruptions... what I like to call 'the randomness of Kenya'.


Salim, my boda boda driver (left), told me about a waterfall in the area and took me there. First we had to find Erastus (right), to get his permission and to for me to make a minimal donation.



Erastus owns the land on which the waterfall sits, and proudly informed us it's on the Mkurumji River. We all enjoyed watching this red and black millipede for a while.



As we headed up the path back to the main road, we stopped to look at this quite fascinating bark on a tree. Sorry, but I don't know what kind of tree it is.


Shortly after we got back on our way, it started raining. Salim sought refuge for us under the small, crude roof of Mtonii's house. He was busy weaving grass reeds into floor mats, but readily welcomed us to share his space. Mohammed (with the yellow vest) and three other guys on motorbikes also joined us in an effort to stay dry.



You might remember in the previous post, that Katunge had given me a bag of freshly-picked oranges from her tree just as I was leaving. I shared them with everyone as we sat out the rain; Junior (Mtonii's young grandson) especially enjoyed them.


Eventually the rain stopped and we headed out again. But shortly before we reached the highway and Ukunda market, Salim noticed his back tire didn't seem right. So, we pulled up at the motorbike and bicycle repair shop to get it fixed. Soon we were back on our way and Salim dropped me off at my destination.


Such is my life in Kenya. It pays to not be in a hurry and to just roll with the punches, whatever comes your way. 'Hakuna haraka', they say in Kenya - There is no hurry.

No comments: