24 January 2018

Christmas Eve on Ngong Hills with my friends; flying kites and becoming like a child


Derrick has been with me several times now, when I've carried my kites - both at Uhuru Park in downtown Nairobi and also up on Ngong Hills. He has quite a knack for it and really enjoys the past-time... as do I! In fact, I've been flying kites sporadically for most of my life.

I guess I just love simple pleasures!

I hosted five friends over the course of a few days that included Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. On the 24th, we all went to church and then headed up to Ngong Hills for a hike, a picnic lunch, and to fly kites. We had a fabulous time! And like usual, we shared a bit of our lunch with some Maasai children who were grazing their family's cows and goats. Later, we also shared our kites with some of them.

The roar of the wind is a bit overpowering in the video, but hopefully you can hear these children's giggles a few times and also the cow bells on the livestock. The little girl is delightful as she dances around.




One of the highlights of my day, was this adult's pure pleasure in flying one of my kites and his amazing philosophical comment.


This guy, a complete stranger to us, was up on the hills with a couple of his buddies. When he saw us flying kites, he asked if he could also do so. He exclaimed these comments excitedly, repeatedly, and unabashedly.

It brought a smile to my face.


We enjoyed fried chicken for our picnic lunch on the hills, sharing a bit of it with a Maasai family.
We gave the chicken bones to a couple of Maasai herding dogs.

Robai enjoys the spectacular view of the Great Rift Valley down below.

It was such a fun day! Smiles for everybody!

There are about 30 wind turbines on Ngong Hills, generating electricity for the nation.

Linet and her sons, Derrick and Jeremy

We used six motorbike taxis (boda bodas) to get to the gate of the hills, and then called them back when we had finished our adventure.

When we got back to my house, we roasted hot-dogs and marshmallows for dinner, out back in my little garden area. 

Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, and said, “I’m telling you that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you’re not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God’s kingdom. What’s more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it’s the same as receiving me.
   ~ Matthew 18:2-5, Message


No comments: