11 August 2012

We visited Sarah in Gulu, Uganda

Ryan's and my final stop (of five) was Gulu, Uganda. I love traveling to new places, and Gulu was no exception. It was my first time to see Northern Uganda and I was happy to meet Sarah for the first time. Gulu is the area where Joseph Kony and his militant group - the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) - has committed widespread human rights violations including murder, abduction, mutilation, child-sex slavery, and forcing children to participate in hostilities. Sarah volunteers with Zion Project, which works with women and children suffering from these atrocities.

Sarah, Ryan, and I are all with Ripe for Harvest.


One of the streets in Gulu.

It rained a couple of times while we were there,
which made navigating the roads a challenge at times.

We went to see Fort Patiko, about 20 miles from Gulu.

We had a great time enjoying our picnic lunch!

Children love to wave to strangers passing by.

I bought two bundles of 'fomo', a very sour fruit.

The River Nile

I love roasted maize!

Selling roasted maize, drinks, and watermelon -
all through the windows of the bus.

I enjoyed the roasted meat on a stick.


You can see many more photos from our time together in Gulu by viewing my Facebook albums. Just click here, here, and here.

There's also a video for a rehearsal for a school music festival.

No comments: