14 March 2017

Catching up, October 2016: Lunch and GeoCache outing at Iten (near Eldoret)


Intentional days of rest and leisure are so vital for our general health and overall well-being. I firmly believe this is especially true when living in a foreign country and culture. Every single thing one can imagine is culturally different than it is in ones home country. These differences - sometimes looming and obvious and other times quite subtle and even silent - gradually take a toll on a person's energy level and sense of serenity.

When I'm at home - in my house at Ngong town (just outside of Nairobi) - I do my best to be intentional concerning this discipline. I might do some coloring, bake some bread, or read a book while sipping tea. I may get outside in the fresh air and sunshine by working in my little succulent garden, going on a hike, or head out on my bike exploring.

Even when traveling, I am equally intentional in scheduling a down day for my own good. Last October, on a trip upcountry to Eldoret and Kitale, I set aside a day to do some GeoCaching by heading to the Iten area. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and found one of the two caches that I looked for.

Come along with me, won't you, as I reminisce through these photos.

Top photo: I hung out a while with these two friendly girls, who were out herding their family's sheep. As per usual, they found me - the 'mzungu' (white person) - rather fascinating.


Feeling 'on top of the world' on an escarpment of the Great Rift Valley

Close-up of an attractive dry flower

I had lunch inside the banda on the right, at the always-wonderful Kerio View Hotel, overlooking the amazing panorama.

Snack kiosk at a viewpoint near Iten town

5,550 feet elevation, overlooking the Great Rift Valley below

I took a boda boda back to Eldoret; this and the next three photos were taken on the move

Gorgeous field of wheat ready to be harvested

Maize, harvested and drying on the stalks in bunches

I never tire of seeing an Acacia tree, the quintessential tree of Africa

No comments: