05 January 2011

22-mile bike adventure

I absolutely love Ngong Hills! I love to gaze on them, hike on their peaks, and cycle on and around them! I've done all three of those activities numerous times and have yet to tire of them! The really cool thing is that I live in very close proximity to them.

They were somewhat made famous in the opening line of "Out of Africa" by Isak Dinesen (pen name for Karen Blixen):

"I had a farm in Africa at the foot of the Ngong Hills..."

You may recall that Jim and I cycled up towards the four peaks in August. This time, we decided to cycle along a back road that meanders on the east side of them. We didn't really have a destination - other than fun and adventure!

We ended up doing an exhausting 22 miles. In spite of my three punctures and our tiredness... we had an absolutely splendid day!


One of many views of the hills throughout our ride



two more photos (of several that I took throughout our day)


We ate lunch under an acacia tree; I got a flat from the thorns!

My rubber cement was dry, so we got a ride on this matatu.

A bike fundi in Kiserian found three punctures!

After that we had a cold soda at this café

No comments: