by David Wang
(excerpts taken from Mission Today, May 1994)
The missionary must have intercessors who stand alongside them, praying on a regular and systematic basis.
- Plead the protection of Jesus’ blood over the body of the missionary. Hostile climate, diseases, language barriers, strange customs, oppression of the enemy, and difficult circumstances can take their toll on the missionary.
- Pray that the missionary may know God’s rest and peace.
- Pray that the missionary may resist Satan, take authority over him, and refuse to accept his lies and accusations.
- Missionaries usually travel extensively in their work. Pray for their safety as they travel.
They often live in abnormal, difficult, and sometimes dangerous situations. The natural love of the human heart will fail many times. Without the love of Christ filling them, adversity can induce hardness of the heart, impatience, sharpness of speech, anger, and prejudice. Pray that the love of God will fill the heart of the missionary.
- How easy it is to labor in the arm of the flesh, depending on one’s own strength, wisdom, and ability - but how futile. Satan only mocks us for he recognizes no power, but the power of God. Pray for the anointing of God to rest on the missionary.
- Pray that the missionary may be continually filled with the Holy Spirit.
- Pray that disciples will be made in every national church and for national pastors and their families.
Inform yourself of the specific prayer targets of the mission field through their prayer letters and other forms of communication.
- Pray knowledgeably.
- Be specific, systematic, and steadfast in praying for real and defined needs. Pray consistently.
- Pray believing.
- Pray using Scripture (ex: Ephesians 1:15-19) and/or with fasting.
- Praise God for the answers. Give God the praise due Him for answered prayer. As you pray, praise Him for the answers before they are manifested. Prayer is mighty, but prayer with praise is mightier.
I need faithful prayer warriors for my ministry to be effective! Please let me know if you'll commit to this invaluable ministry!
Please take just a moment to leave me a comment here on my blog site! It's very simple. I'd appreciate it!