25 April 2007

May Prayer Letter - God is good all the time!


Let me share a praise report about my recent 11-day trip through 3 states, 4 cities and in 5 different homes:

The entire trip - by car, bus, and plane - was incredible! It was a journey of re-connecting with folks I've met in Kenya!

I started off by driving through the night with Naomi and her kids. They'd been in Omaha for a few days and were returning to their home in Cleveland, Ohio. It was great to hang out with them at their home for a couple of days. I even played with Tony in the recent 18-inch snow they'd gotten!

My next stop was Cincinnati, Ohio to see Edith and Peter. While there, I went to one of the city's parks and also a conservatory. The plant and flower displays were spectacular!

Peter and Edith had 6 others over that I've gotten to know in Kenya. Four of the eight are Kenyans, so it was wonderful to hear the Kenyan accent again! We had a wonderful time of catching up with one another! I also attended their Wednesday night church service. It was my 2nd time to be at their church. As I left Cincinnati, I was surprised when 4 different people handed me gifts of money. God is so good!

Next was Shelbyville, Kentucky to stay with Randy and his wife, Marti. Again, a gathering of about 8 folks came over one evening. Four of them had just been in Kenya in February, so it was great to hear the report of their trip while we ate some fun food! A friend of Randy's stopped over one day. He's was a complete stranger to me, but he felt compelled to give me a great big bear hug and pray for me. It was cool!

I got to watch "End of the Spear" (the movie about Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, and the other missionaries that were killed in Ecuador). It was excellent!

Their daughter (who I also met in Kenya) was excited to get my book. Randy and his wife gave me money to buy a new bike for Matunda (since my other one was stolen). Again, I was pleasantly surprised! God is so good to me!

I next went to stay with Tom and Trish in Mt.Vernon, Illinois. They had a large gathering of folks over one evening (and more great food). Most of them I'd met in Kenya, but some were new to me. Actually... there was a continual parade of folks stopping by to see me the whole time I was at their house! It was pretty cool!

A good friend of theirs (who is now a new friend of mine) bought me a video camera! My goodness, the blessings seemed to never stop on this trip! It was amazing!

I watched "Pursuit of Happyness" with them. (It's an excellent true story, by the way, in case any of you haven't yet seen it.)

I spoke about my ministry at their church's Sunday morning service. I think it went well, especially judging by all the many comments I got afterwards. There was a potluck lunch afterwards. I really connected with a few of the folks, one of whom I gave my book to. Then, I did an hour Q/A session in the evening. The questions came non-stop. Often 5-6 hands would be up an one time! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The church blessed me by spontaneously taking up a special offering. Again, I was not expecting anything of the sort! Many people told me that they believe God will greatly use my presence there to spur others towards missions.

I also stayed at Scott and Tammy's house. It was great to spend time with them again and to get to know their newly adopted 14-year old daughter - Araceli. She's a sweetie!

One evening, Tammy, Araceli, Katie (Tom and Trish's daughter), and I went to an Origami class. It was fun! The teacher spontaneously bought one of my books! I also spent some time talking to a wood carving teacher. He spontaneously gave me a carving knife and a gouger, plus a piece of wood to carve.

Scott, Tammy, Araceli, and I went to the St.Louis zoo and had White Castle cheeseburgers before I caught my plane home.

I marvel at how many people I've come to know in Kenya since I first went there! We have a special connection because of our similar experiences in that foreign land. It's so wonderful to get to spend time with them and share our stories with each other.

This trip was an amazing example of how God will bless us if we walk in His will!

"God guides, then provides!"

I sort of topped off my trip by going to a "welcome home" dinner a mere 2 hours after I arrived back in Omaha yesterday. It was held for Chis and Erin - 2 more neat people I've met in Kenya - who had just returned from a 9-week missions trip to India, Cambodia, and Thailand. It was a fun evening!

This Sunday, I met with a small group of folks that I also met in Kenya. Before we knew it, 3 hours had passed by. We were so engrossed in conversation, that we had no idea of the time.

Tomorrow night, I'm meeting with yet some more folks that share an interest in Kenya.

Relationships are so important! I feel blessed to know so many neat people!

To be sure... God is good all the time!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Traveler,
You sure put on the miles and various modes of transportation! I was praying. What a special meeting of friends and churches. What a blessing from God through these people! He delights in providing for you in such exciting ways. He is honoring you as He promised in Isa. 45:4,5. Loved all the descriptions of gatherings.

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb...
Enjoyed reading all about your travels. Marti and I enjoyed even more having you here with us in Kentucky! Alsways have a room open for you. We are having a fund raising dinner at church this Sunday for our Kenya medical mission trip this September and are excited about our next visit. Hope to see you there again, either in Nairobi or in Matunda, God willing. Lindsey got your book and was very excited. Pray for her as she is taking her MCAT for medical school in just two weeks...another doctari for Kenya!
God bless. Love from Kentucky.
Wafula & Marti

Anonymous said...

You make me absolutely know how good God really is.
Gladys vermillion

Anonymous said...

It's hard to imagine how much our God is caring and our provider. I'm encouraged how much he can do even beyond our thinking. I'm amazed at what He does. My trust in God has increased because of your testimony.

Unknown said...

Deb, it's such a fabuluous relationship you have with God!it's just great to see! and draw from!

Anonymous said...

Hello Deb!

I saw a lady on the street recently with a T-Shirt printed "MZUNGU". That's all it took to get me really missing you.

The update's amazing. I can tell you're having a ball. Enjoy!

I just returned from South Africa and will be going to Ethiopia and Togo - a 3 week trip beginning Sunday evening. It's spiritually taxing. So I identify with you when you passionately request for prayer support. Know that you're missed and that I pray for you as often as God brings you to mind.

Blessings!
-KIM-