21 July 2007

Chokora

These "street boys" (commonly referred to as "chokora" here in Kenya) have hitched a ride on the top of this garbage truck. The driver may or may not know that they are there. I'm quite sure their plan is to ride all the way to the dump. Once there, they'll likely claim first dibs on whatever comes off of the truck. This is a common practice, and is one of the creative ways that homeless children have found to survive.

I'm sure you'll notice that the truck is losing trash all along its route. Please notice, too, that we drive on the left side of the street in Kenya.



I've also included this shot, so you can see an Acacia tree. To me, they are the quintessential African tree! I greatly admire them! There are many varieties of this species; this isn't the most attractive, in my opinion, but I still love viewing them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey mom...i would love to frame a special picture of this type of tree...no hurry. i like them too! :)
-jessica