13 August 2008

I Sang on National Radio!

Can you believe it?! I sang on national radio in Kenya! Me, who has absolutely NO musical talent whatsoever!

One of the Christian radio stations in Kenya, recently re-named “Radio 316” has a great morning program with an announcer called Mike-on-the-mike. He’s very funny. One of my favorite things that he does is to call unsuspecting people on their birthdays. He always comes up with a funny angle and somehow manages to get the people to go on and on talking and sometimes singing, without even knowing who he is or that they’re on the air.

I submitted Karo’s name for this funny ploy of his. However, her birthday was just a few days after they unveiled their new name and programming. So, Mike-on-the-mike wasn’t quite into his normal groove.

Surprisingly, he called ME! He said he wanted to turn the tables a little bit and get ME to sing. Somehow, his manner immediately convinced me to just go ahead and sing “Happy Birthday” to Karo. He also recorded me saying a brief greeting to her and a few words about the new station name. Then he asked what song I wanted played in Karo’s honor.

Then… he called Karo and played the recording of ME for her, all the while recording her reactions. It was quite well done and very funny.

She was, of course, pleasantly taken aback and told me that I was full of surprises!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

when I read your headline, i thought, does Deb sing? i don't remember that. funny, funny!
Gail

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb: your last blog is unbelievable. Wish I could have heard your birthday song. I pray for Joe and the many people who try so hard in such difficult time.

Anonymous said...

PLEASE just tell me what "push stud" is. Bet your apt. looks great with the new makeover. That was a very special suprise for Karo to sing happy birthday to her on radio. Al went HOME from the hosp. Wed afternoon.It was a PTL that he didn't have to go to a rehab again. Ade's 2 daughters will be flying back home to Maryland next Thurs., the 21st. God bless you greatly.
With love and caring, Peggy

Anonymous said...

WOW DEB! You sure are making yourself known - imagine singing on national radio! I love the fact you thought Karo would be singing and you got tricked into doing it - made my day!! Your apartment pictures of new paint look great, but the best was of you doing it. Thanks for the joy.
Loved the bird and the rest of your writings.
Enjoy your brand new mercy from Him this morning!
Love, Marge