03 August 2009

Gandhi


I recently watched the movie, Gandhi, for the 2nd time. What an incredible man he was! If you've never seen the movie, I would encourage you to watch it!

It seems appropriate, with Naomi and her family now living in India, to include a post about Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.


Following are just a very few of his quotes:

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems."

"Poverty is the worst form of violence."

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall — think of it, always."

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"

"If we practice and eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, soon the whole world will be blind and toothless."

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."

"There are many causes that I am prepared to die for but no causes that I am prepared to kill for."


And my personal favorite...

"Live simply so others may simply live."


.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - will you bring that movie with you when you come in January?

Ben said...

Yes he really was an incredible man. I'm hit strongly by his quote about how poverty is the worst form of violence. That one hits home for me. Thanks for sharing his quotes and life.