30 August 2011

My new house

I recently "shifted" (as they say here in Kenya) to a new house. I had been at my previous place for just short of four years. I liked it, but it was becoming increasingly crowded and noisy. It was time for a new environment... especially one characterized by quietness!


Three kids in my old neighborhood. I'll especially miss Philip (on the left)!

I'll also miss meeting my friend, Ruth, under this acacia tree - a 3-minute walk from my old house.

The movers loaded up things from my old house...

... and delivered them to my new house (about a 20-minute drive away).

First on the agenda on moving day, was to relax with a cup of tea!

The boxes and bags would wait!

This is the approach to my house... from the lane off of the main road.

My house is considered a "guesthouse" and shares the compound with a "main house". My British landlord has lived in Kenya for over 20 years. He's a nice guy... he even lets me harvest from his vegetable garden! And I absolutely love fresh beets!



Every single wall of the house was white when I took the place. Very boring (in my opinion) and very much in need of a new look! And... I just so happen to love painting! I finally finished one coat in all the rooms. I now need to do the second coat. I also still have eight boxes to unpack. Hmm... life goes on. I'm trying to squeeze in all the work in between everything else. But it's been a lot of fun to watch it take shape!

Before and after painting in the living room.

Another corner of the living/sitting room.

Before and after painting in the kitchen.

Before and after painting in the bathroom.

the very blue bedroom

Clothes hanging on the line. I need to plant some grass, huh?

Some plants I dug up (from my old place) and potted.

Karibu ! Please come and visit me sometime! We can have a cup of tea!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your new house is beautiful! You are a great, warm, welcome host and always nice visiting with you. You also have great snacks when we visited.... what we would do without food :-) I pray that God will bless your time there!

Sandra

Anonymous said...

Deb/You are a true Plains Woman. Settling in right away and making a vacant house home. Congratulations!!! May God continue Blessing You.............

Anonymous said...

Bless you Deb!
You've made your new house a beautiful home.
Wish I could pop in for tea.
Love and prayers
Rita

Anonymous said...

Good work, Deb! I love your place and how you fixed it up.

Sounds great about coming to visit. See you soon. :)

-Ryan Y

Ethel said...

Your new house looks great-Rest haven-I can see how you can withdraw from "the world" and rest and refresh and drink a cup of tea. I just love the amount of light you get in every room.Blessings.

Anonymous said...

I love your new house!! You are quite the interior decorator. I think it would be better if you come see me, rather than me travel to you. I can only handle one-hour direct flights. Love, Peggy

Anonymous said...

Wow! Mom, I love the new place! Cool before and after photos!

-Jessica

Abdul Jackson said...

As for me, unpacking is the toughest part of moving in a new place. Is it just me being lazy, or is it really tough? Hehehe. I love your blue room, and the potted plants make such great garden pieces. I hope you have a great time in your new place.