18 September 2014

6 days, 4 lads - Camping at Olorgesailie in Maasailand, day two


100 years from now, it won’t matter what my bank account was, 
the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove.
But the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.
~ Forest E. Whitcraft


Enjoying a few moments of solitude before the boys wake up

I just met Jack (gray sweatshirt) recently. He's a neighbor of mine at my new house (since late March). But I've known Jeremy, Derrick and Jim for over 12 years and have watched them grow up. Jeremy (blue sweatshirt with stripes on the sleeves) was a baby in his mom's arms when I met him.

The guys spent six days with me during their August school holiday. We had a wonderful time together!
One of the highlights was camping at Olorgesailie.

Derrick really enjoyed cooking his own eggs for breakfast!


Fetching water

Such beautiful landscapes!


The campsite is basically in the middle of nowhere! We walked for 90 minutes to reach the nearest village market, Ol Petesi.

Once there, we waited another 90 minutes for a vehicle going our direction. You can see from the fact that we're walking right on the highway, that there isn't much traffic!



 The termite is small but it creates an enormous anthill behind which animals hide.
~ Ghanaian proverb


At long last, we arrive at Ol Petesi

After our 90-minute wait for a vehicle, finally a lorry arrived. One of the guys jumped out of the cab and announced, 'Kiserian'. I hopped up off the large stone I was sitting on and asked, 'How much?'

With an answer of '150-bob each' ($1.75), I didn't hesitate one second at this chance and told the boys, 'Come on! We've got a lift!'

They sat in the back with a few other passengers and huge piles of mangos and watermelon. I squeezed in the cab with three other people.

In spite of the less-than-ideal ride and the horribly rough road, we were happy to be on our way home after our wonderful adventure!

.

No comments: