03 November 2015

The far side of somewhere I love (by Elizabeth Trotter)








As a Christian, I know home is with God himself.

The best part about finding home and belonging in him is that he goes with me wherever I go.



Psalm 139 is a gift to us global nomads in this regard:

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. I cannot flee from His presence. Even on the far side of the sea, He holds me fast. And no matter how deep the depths of my life, I know He is with me. (vs 7-10)

From now on, wherever I go and no matter which side of the sea I settle on, I will always be on the far side of somewhere I love. There is just no getting around that.

How precious of God to include David’s words in His Word. David could not have known about jet propulsion when he penned Psalm 139, but thousands of years later, his words are a balm to the global nomad’s soul.

For we rise on the wings of the dawn, and we settle on the far side of the sea, and because God lives in us, we can find Home in every place He has made.

“With Christ as my city, I can traipse all over the globe and never once not be at home, because I dwell in His grace.”
      ~ Christine Hoover, who has crossed the deep cultural divide that makes one wonder where in the world you belong, and the author of From Good to Grace

~ Elizabeth Trotter, www.alifeoverseas.com/the-far-side-of-somewhere/


[Note: These thoughts truly resonate with me.]

No comments: