22 October 2017

Marking 16 years living in Kenya as a missionary

Sitting outside my former mud hut at Mtoni










This month marks 16 years for me serving as a missionary in Kenya, as I first arrived in October 2001. 

Oswald Chambers has spoken to me deeply for all these years and has played a pivotal role in my persevering at my God-given assignment. This is an excerpt from a recent reading in My Utmost for His Highest:




The duty of a faithful missionary is to concentrate on keeping his soul completely
and continually open to the nature of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The men and women our Lord sends out on His endeavors
are ordinary human people, but people who are controlled by their devotion to Him,
which has been brought about through the work of the Holy Spirit.


Another shot of my mud hut (my ministry base and up-country home, 2002-2011)

Never choose to be a worker,
but once God has placed His call upon you, 
woe be to you if you “turn aside…to the right or the left.” (Deut. 28:14) 
He will do with you what He never did before His call came to you,
and He will do with you what He is not doing with other people.
Let Him have His way.
~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest


The next four blog posts after this one are all subjects that are near and dear to me, but written by others:

Six myths about expat life, by Rachel Pieh Jones
Solitude, a reprieve from the noise of doing, by Katrina Kenison
Living single overseas, by Elizabeth Spencer
How to stay in when it's hard, by Jim Bloom

I hope you'll take a look at them, as you'll gain a glimpse into my mind and heart! 

Just scroll down.


Deb and I (plus several others) enjoyed a picnic in the park
on my 10th anniversary in Kenya (2011).

No comments: