18 December 2017

Practicing hospitality - the friendly entertainment of visitors - is actually commanded by God


HOSPITALITY
(a noun)
the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers

Synonyms: friendliness, welcome, warm reception, helpfulness, neighborliness, warmth, warm-heartedness, 
kindness, congeniality, sociability, cordiality, generosity, bountifulness, open-handedness

- - - - -
Be hospitable to one another without complaint or grumbling. 
1 Peter 4:9

Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. 
Romans 12:13

Other translations of the use of 'practice' say: pursue, be eager, cultivate, and be unfailing in hospitality.




Masudi's mom, Stella, has shown amazing hospitality to me since 2002 (over 15 years)! Not only has she cooked many meals and brewed many, many cups of chai for me, but she's also allowed me to stay overnight at her home in the village (at the South Coast) several times throughout the years.


Recently I was able to host Stella at my house for the first time ever. I knew Masudi was bringing along his friend, Esther, but he totally surprised me when his mom was also with them! We had a wonderful time together sharing a meal and a flask of chai.




Likewise, Carol has hosted me at her house many, many times... for a meal, a flask of chai, and sometimes overnight as well. Every now and then, her family (or part of it) makes their way from the other side of Nairobi to my house for some good food, fellowship, and laughs. We managed to make it happen again recently, when Carol and her three daughters came.


Signing my guest book

Three of the neighbor children (on the left) also joined in for some coloring


Maybe there's someone you could invite over to your house... especially during this holiday season. Just give them a call right now so you can be faithful in practicing, pursuing, and cultivating hospitality!

- - - - -

Isaiah 58:6-7
"Is this not the fast which I choose... Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into the house?"

Hebrews 13:16
Do not neglect doing good and sharing, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.

Matthew 25:35, 40
I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in. Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.

Galatians 6:10
So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

No comments: