09 May 2018

Road trip: Eldoret to Moyale, Ethiopia - Second leg, onward to Isiolo


After taking a bus from my house at Ngong to Nairobi, we stopped for chai and mandazi at my favorite little spot. We then took a van as far as Nanyuki so we could find a GeoCache at Kongoni Camp, a really nice hotel and restaurant on the edge of town. We had a cold soda there and the girls found the hidden object we were looking for. After a nice lunch of nyama choma (roasted goat) back in Nanyuki, we got another vehicle and headed to Isiolo.


The rain, clouds, and fog obliterated any hope to see Mount Kenya as we headed on to Isiolo.

Typical roadside shop along the highway

After reaching Isiolo, we dropped off our bags at a cheap hotel and then got some cheap cups of chai!

We headed out to the same area where I took a stroll the last time I was in Isiolo.

Boys squeezing in a football match before the sun set

I was pleasantly surprised to not only see Mount Kenya off in the distance, but to see so much snow on it!


When we had seemingly randomly met Gideon on the evening of our walk, he invited us to come to his place for chai and chapati the next morning. I found him to be a great guy so we took him up on his offer. I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with Orena (white shirt), who is from South Africa. Eventually we met the whole family: Gideon's wife, young son (named after Orena), mom (Stella), and nephew (Ginger), plus Gideon's father (not in the photo). If I ever make it back to Isiolo, I'm sure I'll look for Gideon and his family again.

Nairobi to Isiolo (170 miles), with a stop in Nanyuki

"One's destination is never a place, but always a new way of seeing things."
   ~ Henry Miller (1891-1980), American writer

No comments: