07 February 2019

Recent visits with my friends in the village (Kenya's rural areas) plus one in Eldoret town

Instead of going interior to his house, this time I met Nathan and his daughter, Deb, at a nice new café at Matunda market.
Martin also joined us for chai and mandazi (tea and fried bread).
It was nice to see all of them again, and to congratulate Deb on her marks in the recent primary school exams.

Zach and Duane sit on top of the soil and stones that were dug out for the new well

Agnes and Pope are very happy with their new well (a gift from my mom).
It will make their lives easier, as they no longer need to fetch and carry water from the river.

It's a seven-hour round-trip traveling from Eldoret to Kocholia, to visit Agnes and her family.
Each time I use a total of eight vehicles - four motorbikes and four vans.
I usually stay 2-3 hours, which all together makes for a (tiresome) 9-10-hour day.
But what is the value of a friendship?
[Photo: roasted maize and roasted peanuts (yummy!), as we wait for chicken and ugali]

The road to a friend's house is never long. 
~ Danish Proverb


Robai and I met in Eldoret, at the new Java House, for breakfast.
I always enjoy chatting with her as she's quite mature and wise for her age, and always very upbeat.

A nice view of Mount Elgon, a massive solitary mountain with five peaks, on the Kenya-Uganda border
[photo taken from Rose's grandfather, Moses', house]

Close-up of a Poinsettia tree, which blooms year-round in Kenya
[photo taken from Rose's grandfather, Moses', house]



Moses, Rose, and I ate our chicken and ugali outside.
In Kenya, chicken (kuku) is typically slaughtered only when visitors come to visit.
Moses thanked us for coming, so he could enjoy chicken for his lunch :)
He used the branch to shoo away the flies.

Moses is Rose's 90-year old grandfather. This was my third or fourth time to visit this charming mzee (elder man).
He didn't know we were coming and upon seeing his grand-daughter, gave her the longest and warmest hug I've ever seen!
When we left, he thanked us profusely for coming to visit 'when he was still alive'.

No better relation than a prudent and faithful friend.
~ Ben Franklin (1706-1790)


My God-given ministry is one of relationships - long-lasting, close-up, one-on-one friendships - especially to single moms and their children. Perhaps it seems simple, and it's certainly unique, but it's how God designed me. One could say that was my norm in the US, and then at God's appointed time he re-located me to Kenya to do the same in this foreign land. It's my prayer that I fulfill his plan and please him in so doing.

No comments: