29 September 2006

Sudoku

I’ve walked past this fellow numerous times in the past several months. He apparently lives here at the side of Uhuru Highway, a very busy road just outside of downtown Nairobi. Occasionally when I pass by, he’s not around, but his belongings - these two bags - are almost always here.

There are thousands of “street boys” in Nairobi - all throughout Kenya actually - but by far, most of them are younger than this guy appears to be. Sometimes, as I pass by, I notice him absorbed in reading a salvaged local newspaper. Several times I’ve observed him doing a Sudoku puzzle from a torn page of a paper.

Recently I approached him. He so intently worked on what appeared to be a homemade puzzle, that he was oblivious to my presence until I knelt down and greeted him. He looked up at me rather suspiciously. I told him that I also enjoyed such puzzles and asked if I could take his picture. Reacting somewhat apprehensive and reluctant, he did agree to my request. When I told him I’d give him 20-bob, he replied in excellent English, “No. The picture is free.”

Upon my offering him 20-bob a second time, he politely repeated the same reply. However, as I tore out the puzzle page from my paper, and gave that to him, he was noticeably happy.

This fellow greatly intrigues me. He obviously has a sharp mind. Why does he live on the street? And why here on such a noisy, busy road? Why would he refuse my offer of money? Surely he’s hungry. How does he survive; what does he eat? Do passers-by give him food? Where does he go when it rains?

And finally… how did he get started doing the Sudoku puzzles?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb...
Enjoyed your comments and pics, as usual. The piece about the "street fellow" is puzzling! All is well here. Josiah is flying in this weekend and will be staying with us during October. Justus is also here in the states and will be preaching at our church on 22 Oct. Then, I understand that Shitika is going to be here in November. It's the next best thing to being in Kenya!!! Always enjoy reading your blog.
Blessings and love from Shelbyville,
Wafula