26 November 2007

Odds and Ends

Christmas Cards

I'd love to receive Christmas cards from anyone that loves me! My address is:

PO Box 1534
Nairobi, Kenya 00502

However, please don't attempt to mail me any packages without checking with me first. They can become quite expensive for me to receive. And... sometimes they never even arrive.


Glimpses of Life in Kenya

Happy Donkeys
Sunday, while biking to church, I saw a van. On one side, in big block letters, it said, “Happy Owner, Happy Donkey”. On the other side, it said, “Donkey Ambulance”. Not exactly a sight one might spot in the States! The use of donkeys for beasts of burden is on the increase in Kenya. Unfortunately, there is a lot of ignorance about how to care for them. This then leads to much abuse of these quiet, humble animals. This ambulance is obviously used to come to their rescue. There are organizations in Kenya that educate people about donkeys and monitor reports of abuse.

Exchange Rate
When I first came to Kenya in 2001, the exchange rate for US dollars to Kenyan shillings was 78. Today, it’s only 64! While this is an indication of a good economy in Kenya, it means my US money is worth much less. For instance, six years ago, $100 US dollars would buy me 7,800 shillings. Today, that same amount will only buy me 6,400 shillings. This is a difference of roughly $20!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

THe pictures you sent are beautiful and so is your letter.i have trouble imaging adopting to the change in culture, but with God's help it is possible .

Gladys

Anonymous said...

i like the way you have shared about how african and western cultures are different.When i got here last year,I never thot that i would have any problem settling in but still I have my own moments when i wonder whether I did,acted or said what i should but i thanbk God that despite all these,he gives the ability to navigate through these differences.Keep moving towards your call.
God bless you
Jean Claude

Anonymous said...

beautiful birds.reminds me of the days in our Bible study at the Hillcrest playgrounds looking naming them.Miss those days
JC

Anonymous said...

Thanks Deb, for the beautiful birds. Thanks too, for sharing your struggles with the differences. Knowing how difficult this is, just makes me pray for you more deeply and more knowingly.
Love,
Marge