01 November 2007

Update on My Injuries

Your heart is revealed and your character is forged when life doesn’t turn out the way you planned. Sooner or later the storm strikes. It’s in the act of facing the storm that you discover what lies inside you and decide what lies before you.

John Ortberg (Pastor and author)


It is in this whole process of meeting and solving problems that life has its meaning. It is only because of problems that we grow mentally and spiritually. It’s for this reason that wise people learn not to dread but actually to welcome the pain of problems.

Scott Peck (Psychologist and author)


The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even in the most difficult circumstances – to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Victor Frankl (Nazi death camp survivor)


It is when we are in the valley, where we prove whether we will be the choice ones, that most of us turn back. We are not quite prepared for the bumps and bruises which must come if we are going to be turned into the shape of the vision. We have seen what we are not, and what God wants us to be, but are we willing to be battered into the shape of the vision to be used by God? The beatings will always come in commonplace ways. There are times when we do know what God’s purpose is, whether we will let the vision be turned into actual character depends upon us, not on God.

Oswald Chambers (Preacher and author)


And in Your hands, the pain and hurt

Look less like scars and more like character.

Sara Groves (song writer and singer)


Resilient people find meaning and purpose in the storm.

John Ortberg (Pastor and author)


Current update on my injuries

It’s been almost two and a half months since my accident. Let me be frank; it’s been a long ordeal. Besides the pain and discomfort, I was very immobile for the majority of that time. The nature of my injuries required that I sit or lie with my feet up throughout most of every day. When necessary, I could only hobble or walk with crutches. I also was forced to shift from house to house, which meant living out of suitcases. I spent a lot of money on taxi fare.

However, there are many things to give thanks for:

God provided four wonderful homes where I could recuperate. And in that process, I’ve made some new friends. As you can see from my collection of quotes, I was able to do a fair amount of reading.

The truly wonderful update is that, physically, I’ve made great “strides” (pun intended)! The week of October 14th (the 9th week) was especially pivotal and full of milestones. I celebrated each and every one of them!

  • During that week, I was able to finally wear shoes on both feet!
  • A few days later, I walked approximately three miles with Karo and Joy from Gaby’s house to Resurrection Garden (a very serene green space).
  • Thirdly, the first of three scabs came off! It was amazing to me to see healed skin underneath. At that moment, I cried tears of joy and thanked Jehovah Rapha. There was a point when I sincerely wondered if those three really deep wounds would ever heal.
  • The fourth milestone, and one I had also been concerned about, is that I rode a matatu. Climbing on and off of them can be a challenge… even with two strong and healthy feet.
  • The last milestone of that week is that I went to “town” (downtown Nairobi). I stayed in the relatively non-crowded and non-chaotic area, and since it was a holiday, there were less people. For those reasons, it was a good “test” for me mentally.

All three scabs are now off. The nasty bruise on my right foot is a pinkish-red, instead of purples and blues. It’s still numb and stiff and the range of motion isn’t all it should be. I’m confident that all those issues will improve with time. The shin on my left leg is still swollen, but it’s come down considerably. Because of that, my left foot is looking more normal now. And… I’m able to walk without too much of limp.

While I do see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel, I still have some time before I’m back to 100%. Currently, I need to monitor how many hours I’m on my feet or sitting up in the normal position. By the end of such days, my feet are rather swollen and tired. For that reason, during the month of November, I intend to be pro-active about staying home and relaxing at least three days of every week. This will be much easier now, since my doctoring and house-hunting days are (finally) over.

I never cease to marvel at our body’s ability to heal. God not only created us with this capability, but He placed within our body’s make-up an inherent awareness of when to stop the healing process. Simply incredible!

Several of the quotes I’ve included in this post talk about character. In the future, when I look at the physical scars from this ordeal, I pray that I’ll also sense a new level of character within me! I hope I’ve matured through this whole process. It would be a shame, after all, to only look back and say that I endured the pain and suffering. Or, to only recall hours upon hours of playing Free Cell solitaire on my laptop.

Our speaker on Sunday defined “victorious Christian living” as any happening that causes us to grow closer to God – whether it’s a blessing or a trial. God’s ongoing interest in His children is to develop their relationship with Him and to draw them closer to Him. It is, indeed, my desire to ever increase my level of intimacy with my Lord.


Remember thy Creator in the days of thy youth. Rise free from care before the dawn, and seek adventures. Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and the night overtake thee everywhere at home… we should come home from far, from adventures, and perils, and discoveries every day, with new experience and character.

Henry David Thoreau (author)


Please pray with me, that I’ll have no fear of traffic in crowded, congested areas of downtown Nairobi, or any parts of Kenya for that matter. Pray that I’ll not lose any of my intrepidness and that I’ll be ever ready for the next adventure God has in store for me. As the following excerpts state, I want to STAND on my FEET!


Take your STAND against the devil’s schemes.

STAND your ground.

After you’ve done everything, STAND.

STAND firm then,

with your FEET fitted for readiness.

Ephesians 6:10-13 (NIV)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deb,

I can't tell you how much joy fills my heart as I read about your healing. You've been on my mind and in my prayers.

I've been holed up in my house for a full three weeks, so I haven't had the chance to get around.

May the Lord complete His healing.
-Moses Kimani-