19 May 2008

Hope and Determination

In March, when Margaret and I were at Matunda,
she surprised me with a question. She wanted to know if a new teacher at the school could stay in my house. I agreed, mostly as a favor to her. Also, I felt that with someone regularly staying there, possibly the burglaries would cease.

I was introduced briefly to Sarah, who was thrilled to
hear the news. Before leaving that very same day, I showed her around my house.

Returning last month provided me my first opportunity
to get acquainted with my new boarder. I found Sarah
to be a delightful young lady. She finished high school
just last year. Undeterred by the lack of any formal
teaching training, she now confidently instructs her own “age mates”.

In the evenings, we spent lots of time getting to know one another. We shared one story after another. Often, we laughed heartily. I told her about some of my challenges living in a foreign culture. She told me about some of the trials she’s faced in her short life.

Throughout our conversations, her personal maxim would periodically enter into the conversation.

“Hope and determination – that’s what got me through my struggles!”

“I would cry out to God, ‘God don’t stay asleep. Wake up and see me! See what I’m going through. Here I am. I’m Sarah. Come to my rescue! Don’t forget about me.’”

“I reminded Him what I’d read in the first chapter of Jeremiah. ‘God, just like you created Jeremiah in his mother’s womb and gave him a purpose to life, so you also created me in the same way. I know you gave me a purpose. Don’t let me fail now. Come through for me and remove these hurdles. Let me succeed. God, I’m depending on You!’” I marveled at her tenacity and boldness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb...
I love Sarah's prayer (paraphrased), "Hey God, don't be sleeping on me..." It is precious!
Tell Sarah I admire her perserverance...to keep going hard after God!
Blessings and love from Magnoia...
Wafula