11 April 2016

Samburu-land; my third early-morning hike in a span of three days


Trees are poems the earth writes upon the sky.
~ Khalil Gibran, Lebanese-American artist and poet


My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing. 
~Aldous Huxley


Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk. 
~Raymond Inmon


In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks. 
~John Muir






It was another fabulous hike! 

Breathing the fresh air, stretching my legs on the hills, thinking my own thoughts, and enjoying the vast and varied beauty of God's great-out-of-doors! 

However, because there was not even a whiff of a breeze, the flies and mosquitoes relentlessly annoyed me. 

Upon hearing yet another leopard, and again not so terribly far away... I thought it best to head back.



Towards the end of my hike, I encountered this mzee (old man) and a few children. I shared my bag of mixed nuts with them and we communicated in non-verbal ways... most especially with many smiles. 


Talking to strangers is one of the most important things we can do. 
They help us understand how we relate to each other and have so much to offer. 
I think we should go out of our way to talk to more of them. 
~Tyler Tervooren

No comments: