07 April 2016

Samburu-land; responding to God's call to rest and 'wait a bit'


Be still and know that I am God.
~ Psalm 46:10

Attention, all! See the marvels of God! 
He plants flowers and trees all over the earth. 
Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God.
~ Psalm 46: 8, 10, Message

As I climbed up the hill, my hat got snagged by a thorn of a Wait-a-Bit tree

I first learned about the Wait-a-Bit tree several years ago, while on a bird-watching hike at Lake Baringo. The tree was given that name because of its numerous hooked thorns. When they hook onto passers-by, one must literally stop and wait a bit to remove them carefully. Otherwise you could tear your skin or clothes.

What a vivid illustration of taking the time to be still in God's presence! He calls to us and says, "Rest for just a while and stop what you're doing. Sit down and wait a bit beside me."


I learned what is obvious to a child. That each day should be spent finding beauty in flowers and poetry and talking to animals. That a day spent with dreaming and sunsets and refreshing breezes cannot be bettered.
~ Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook


Jesus said, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”
~ Matthew 6:31


He makes me lie down in green pastures. 
He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul.
~ Psalm 23:2

No comments: