24 August 2017

Visiting two families in the village on the same day, at Fafaral and Mawe Tatu


I've known Martin and his family since I first had my mud hut built in 2002. You may remember early in 2016, with the help of many of you, we purchased a motorbike for Martin so he could better earn his daily bread. However, after a few months and for reasons we don't fully understand, he decided he no longer wanted the motorbike.

Nathan, after thinking it over for a while, had the idea that we shouldn't let the blessing pass from Martin's family. So, he sold the motorbike and bought two cows for Martin's grandparents. They are now caring for Martin's brothers (in the photo), Sinclair and Tony, after their father died and the mother moved away from the area. The grandparents were really struggling to feed these two boys and take them to school. An added blessing - the cow in the photo is now pregnant! I believe Nathan's idea was from the Lord, as it has greatly relieved the grandparents of this unexpected and added responsibility.




When I visit folks in the village, I typically take a 'care package' for the lady of the house. I buy kitchen staples like tea leaves, sugar, matches, soap, cooking fat, salt, chapati flour, etc. This time I also added a new flask for keeping freshly-brewed chai hot. To say these grandparents were elated would be an understatement! Margaret danced for joy several times, while singing, "Ona! Asante! Look. Thank you!"


Robai climbed the tree to pick Guava


Mawe Tatu (three stones) is a group of very large stones that dominate the horizon for miles around. When I had my mud hut at Mtoni, I could see it in the distance and always drew inspiration from it, especially if I was feeling down.

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer.
My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
~ Psalm 18:2

One time, Nathan and I cycled to the largest stone and tried to climb to the top. Nathan succeeded, but I had to settle for a lower spot. On this day, we talked of doing it again some time :)


Breakfast: eggs and chai, along with the newspaper.
Everyone wonders what will happen with Kenya's election this year.

Robai and Deb, two of the students I sponsor in school

Deb's brothers (except for Laban who was talking care of the cows)

Nathan and Alice, my long-time friends

My old stomping grounds, Matunda market. Anyone need some cabbage?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a blessing and I am positive that your visits bring them much joy and encouragement. It is always good to have company stop in and be a light into a ordinary day. You are that light and you shine Christ for all. Keep going! Know you are making a huge difference in people's lives because of your care and intentional interaction with them. Your ministry might have a simple concept but it has a complex impact for our Lord and His people. Melissa R.