17 November 2017

My trip to Cape Town, South Africa: exploring this beautiful and fascinating city

Camps Bay

One of the first things I did at Cape Town, after hopping off a Red Tour Bus, was head to the ocean. Whoa... when I dipped my feet in the water, it was ice cold.... way too cold to go for a swim.


Another view of Camps Bay

A ride on the Cape Wheel, in an air conditioned cabin

While out exploring, I randomly met a gal who is a missionary in Uganda (but attending a different event than me). We hung out at the V&A Waterfront for the afternoon, enjoying the street music, looking at curio shops, having a bite to eat, and riding the Ferris wheel.

Another day, while strolling around on my own in the downtown area, I meandered into a shop that had just opened that day. I shared a table with three fascinating South Africans, while we each devoured a delicious salmon and creme cheese bagel. I took their recommendation and visited the Iziko Slave Lodge Museum just around the corner.



Not only was the museum quite fascinating, but I also noticed the statue outside of Jan Christian Smuts (1870-1950). For most of his life, he was in favor of racial segregation, but in the final years of his life, he changed his mind. Perhaps his friendship with Gandhi eventually swayed his views on the subject.



I was quite fascinated by the style of architecture. Much of it falls in the category known as Cape Dutch, which became prominent in the 17th century, when Dutch settlers immigrated to the area.



One afternoon, Tina and I decided to go for a walk along the beach at Simon's Town. Little did we know that a sudden rain storm was about to descend on us! Ha... and neither one of us had an umbrella! Fortunately I managed to get this shot of the colorful beach houses before the deluge.


While we enjoyed a walking tour of significant historical locations during the era of Apartheid, I noticed this quite talented street performer portraying Nelson Mandela. It seems appropriate to quote him here:

We understand it still that there is no easy road to freedom. 
We know it well that none of us acting alone can achieve success. 
We must therefore act together as a united people, for national reconciliation, 
for nation building, for the birth of a new world.
Let there be justice for all. Let there be peace for all. 
Let there be work, bread, water, and salt for all. 
Never, never, and never again shall it be that this beautiful land 
will experience the oppression of one by another
Let freedom reign.
~ Nelson Mandela, (1918- 2013) 
excerpt from inauguration speech as South Africa's president, May 10, 1994


Sunset at Hout Bay

I had an absolutely wonderful time in Cape Town and thank the Lord for how it all came together quite unexpectedly. Such trips are one of the ways I practice self-care, in an effort to maintain good health and longevity on the missions field.


Good self-care is a lifestyle of regular, ongoing, non-crisis activities
that promote good spiritual, emotional, and physical health. 

What feeds your soul?
Reading, running, painting, playing a musical instrument, 
watching a comedy, a week at the beach? 

Whatever feeds your soul, brings you rest, refuels you for the journey,
those things constitute good self-care for you.

~ Kay Bruner

No comments: