14 November 2017

My trip to Cape Town, South Africa: Cape Point, an afternoon at Africa's (almost) furthest point south


Plunge boldly into the thick of life, and seize it where you will; it is always interesting.
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (1749-1832), German writer and statesman

When I realized Cape Point is practically the southern-most tip of the continent of Africa, I thought it was neat that I got to see it. John and Tina took me there for a lovely afternoon, and although the sky was gray and the temps were chilly, we enjoyed walking around the area.

And - contrary to popular belief - Cape Point is not where the cold waters of the Atlantic join with the warmer water of the Indian Ocean. That actually occurs about 90 miles to the east-southeast (as the crow flies) at Cape Agulhas, which is also the southern-most tip of Africa.




While I captured a shot of the beautiful flowers (above), Tina noticed this caterpillar in the foliage. As I got closer to take a picture, the furry spots near the head puffed up... I guess to scare me away!

The old lighthouse

Looking out over Cape Point

Tina and I, above Diaz Beach, named after an early Portuguese explorer, Bartolomeu Diaz (1450-1500)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were a blessing to us Deb! Tina