10 November 2018

Challenging missionary quotes from the 18th / 19th centuries, plus one from the 21st century - part 2



"Civilization is not necessary before Christianity; do both together if you will, but you will find civilization follows Christianity more easily than Christianity follows civilization."

Samuel Marsden (1765-1838), English missionary to New Zealand


"Oh, that I had a thousand lives and a thousand bodies! All of them should be devoted to no other employment but to preach Christ. In the north I have seen in the morning sun, the smoke of a thousand villages where no missionary has ever been."

Robert Moffat (1795-1883), Scottish missionary in southern Africa







"Trials and hairbreadth escapes only strengthened my faith and nerved me for more to follow. Without that abiding consciousness of the presence and power of my Lord and Savior, nothing in the world could have preserved me from losing my reason and perishing miserably."


John Paton (1824-1907), Scottish missionary to South Pacific islands






"I have always said I have no idea how God has carried me over so many funny and hard places, except in answer to prayer made at home for me. It is all beyond my comprehension. The only way I can explain it is on the ground that I have been prayed for more than most. Pray on, dear one — the power lies that way."

Mary Slessor (1848-1915), British missionary in Nigeria





"I realized my life was to be one of simple, childlike faith, and that my part was to trust, not to do. I was to trust in Him and He would work in me to do His good pleasure. From that time my life was different. Christ wants not nibblers of the possible, but grabbers of the impossible, by faith in the omnipotence, fidelity, and wisdom of the Almighty Savior who gave the command."

C.T. Studds (1860-1931), missionary in China, India, Central Arica




"Let us see that we keep God before our eyes; that we walk in His ways and seek to please and glorify Him in everything, great and small. Depend upon it, God's work, done in God's way, will never lack God's supplies."

Hudson Taylor (1832-1905), British missionary in China




[above photos and quotes were taken from wholesomewords.org]




"My God-given assignment is a simple one, that of loving my neighbor, which is the second-greatest commandment. God orchestrated me becoming friends with a handful of single moms and their children. We do life together - blow bubbles and have picnics at the park; we share laughter and we share tears. These are intimate and close-up relationships, long-lasting and deep, difficult yet rewarding."

Deb Smith (1955- ), American missionary to Kenya 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing great work, Deb! Proud to know you!!

--Lila

deb said...

Thanks so much, Lila!