19 September 2018

Challenging missionary quotes from the 18th / 19th centuries, plus one from the 21st century - part 1


"It is impossible for any rational creature to be happy without acting all for God. God Himself could not make him happy any other way... There is nothing in the world worth living for but doing good and finishing God's work, doing the work that Christ did. I see nothing else in the world that can yield any satisfaction besides living to God, pleasing Him, and doing his whole will."

David Brainerd (1718-1747), American missionary to Delaware Indians of New Jersey





Shortly before his death, Carey said to a friend:

"You have been saying much about Dr. Carey and his work. When I am gone, say nothing about Dr. Carey; speak about Dr. Carey's savior."

William Carey (1761-1834), British missionary to India






"The command - Go into all the world - seems to be strictly an injunction, and, as far as I can see, my going forth is a matter of obedience to a plain command. In place of seeking to assign a reason for going abroad, I would prefer to say that I have failed to discover any reason why I should stay at home."

James Gilmour (1843-1891), Scottish missionary to Mongolia





"I feel it is my duty to plod on, while daylight shall last. I am not tired of my work, neither am I tired of the world; yet, when Christ calls me home, I shall go with gladness."

Adoniram Judson (1788-1850), American missionary to Burma







"Remember us in your prayers that we grow not weary in well doing. It is hard to work for years with pure motives. Many look upon us as having some ulterior object in view; but He who died for us, and whom we ought to copy, did more for us than we can do for any one else. We should have grace to follow in His steps. I am a missionary, heart and soul. In this service I hope to live; in it I wish to die!"

David Livingstone (1813-1873), Scottish missionary in various parts of Africa




"Lord, enable us to search our hearts and humble ourselves before Thee. Oh, for a closer walk with God, more faith, more sincerity, more earnestness, and more love. I must study more the Word of God. 'If ye abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatsoever ye will, and it shall be done unto you.' The Master said so, and His words are true."

Alexander M. Mackay (1849-1890), Scottish missionary to Uganda





[above photos and quotes were taken from wholesomewords.org]



"Becoming a missionary and living in a foreign land was never on my radar. However, during a period of intensely seeking the Lord, he literally stood me up on my feet and sent me in a new direction. The very next day I applied for a passport... all-the-while maintaining a responsive posture. I was ready, ready to follow wherever God led me. A mere five months later, in October 2001, I found myself in Kenya, East Africa. It's now been 17 years and I am still here walking in the footsteps my Lord lays out for me."

"Always be ready for God's surprise visits. It's possible he just might have a new assignment for you!"

Deb Smith (1955- ), American missionary to Kenya   

No comments: