14 May 2007

Kakuma Town

I still have some remaining photos from Kim's and my trip to Turkana land that I haven't yet posted. I hope you'll enjoy these from Kakuma town!

These men and women are buying kerosene to use for cooking fuel.
They use the yellow plastic "jerry cans" to store it.


Typical sights:
Trash and puddles on the side of the road, numerous bicycles,
Turkana men dressed in blankets,
and a matatu carrying piles of luggage on top

(in this case, it's more yellow plastic "jerry cans").


My friend, Kim, who (like me) is also plagued with wanderlust!
Notice the ladies carrying charcoal on their heads.


More women carrying charcoal on their heads.
I once purchased such a bag for use with my "jiko" in my mud hut.
Let me assure you, those bags are extremely heavy!

The barrier is used when "bandits" are active and security becomes an issue.


Another very, very common sight in Turkana land:
Men spending the entire day sitting in the shade of trees.
You can see a number of them in the background.
I'd love to know what they're discussing!

NOTE:
I tried my best to be fast and discreet.
However, this gentleman in the foreground noticed that I took a picture.
He yelled something to some of them in a very angry tone.
Kim is quite certain that if I'd tried to take one more photo,
we could likely have been attacked
(or at minimum, approached by an angry mob of men).
You may recall that in earlier posts,
I described this people group as being "bellicose" (warlike).