01 October 2008

Prayer Letter, Part 3 - Seven Years

After seven years of living in this foreign land, I’m still finding out how to be culturally sensitive. Amazingly, I still find many thought processes and ways of doing things rather strange here. However, I am constantly renewing my mind along the lines of an axiom I saw at an international airport,

“Never underestimate the wisdom of local knowledge.”

“The first thing that happens after we have realized our election to God in Christ Jesus is the destruction of our prejudices and our parochial notions and our patriotisms; we are turned into servants of God’s own purpose.” (Oswald Chambers)

I have recently stepped up my efforts to renew my mind regarding the fact that I am, after all, an alien in a foreign land and living in a foreign culture. I must never forget that. I have so much to learn.

“It is dangerous to get into a settled state of experience.” (Oswald Chambers)

I am a student regarding how to effectively interact with Kenyans. God is showing me more and more that He wants me to simply love them.

“To be a disciple means that we deliberately identify ourselves with God’s interests in other people.” (Oswald Chambers)

In respect to the Kenyans I meet on my path, I’m gaining knowledge about how to better be the hands, feet, ears, and eyes of Jesus.

“We are here to offer our hands as Jesus did when He was on the earth, to touch people with acts of kindness and compassion. We… are the feet of Jesus to walk where people are hurting and to offer them the hope that is in God. We are the ears of Jesus to listen to those who suffer and to be a friend to them. We are the eyes of Jesus, always looking for the despised and rejected, that we might go and encourage them.” (Joel Vestal, Dangerous Faith)

I so appreciate your continued and fervent prayers on my behalf!

terrifically alive and ever mindful that I am ever learning,
-deb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deb, I appreciate so much what you have shared. I was reminded of you when reading this quote from Daniel Webster: "If we work on marble, it will perish, if on brass, time will efface it; if we rear up temples, they will crumble into dust; but if we work on immortal minds and imbue them with(God's) principles, with the just fear (and love)of God..., we engrave on those tablets something that will brighten to all eternity."

"Rest assured that the talents I have given you and the plan I have for your life, will never be taken away. I will never remove them from you, nor will I change My mind. Your gifts and callings are givaen by My grace, and there is nothing you can say or do to eliminate them from your life."
Rom. 11:29

Love and Prayers,
Marge