04 September 2018

Mingo GC30: The oldest active (and unarchived) GeoCache in the world, located in Kansas USA




This cache, called Mingo GC30, is somewhat in the middle of nowhere, just off I-70 between Oakley and Colby, Kansas. It's near a small town called Mingo (which is where the cache gets its name). I went out of my way approximately 20 miles so I could find and log this famous cache. It was also a good chance to stretch my legs during a long day of driving. Unfortunately there was no fuel in any of the pumps at the unmanned gas station across the road.

The container and its contents
 Interesting facts -

  • The Mingo GC30 is exactly 8,700.4 miles (as a bird flies) from my home at Ngong town in Kenya. It is 297.4 miles (as a bird flies) from my mom's house in Omaha, Nebraska.
  • My log on July 28, 2018 was number 6,747 out of 6,762 (as of August 4, 2018). 
  • 2,550 people have indicated this cache is one of their favorites. 
  • People who have found it have uploaded 2,350 photos when they log it on the GeoCache app; I uploaded one of those. 



Later Kansas Stasher, the cache owner, added this, August 29, 2004:
"Over the last couple of years people have been saying that this is the oldest still active cache. I know for sure that it was the 7th ever created and the first in Kansas. I would like to thank everyone who has stopped and visited so far. And let's keep it going for a long, long time. I put it near I-70 since this was the best chance to get visitors in the middle of nowhere."


I dutifully recorded my GeoCache name on the physical log book.
And when I recorded it on the app, I got a yellow smile-y face! 

Here I am with the famous cache! My mom's car is in the background and you can see the path heading to the cache site.

This nearby cache, across from a corn field, is called 'Mingo the Merciless'


This very clever one, called 'There's a Bug on the Bump on the Log', was also nearby.

'There's a Bug' is located at the intersection of Thomas County roads 25 and K.

Explore each new day with desire to find Me. 
Before you get out of bed, I have already been working to prepare the path that will get you through this day.
There are hidden treasures strategically placed along the way.
Some of the treasures are trials, designed to shake you free from earth shackles.
Others are blessings that reveal My presence: sunshine, flowers, birds, friendships, answered prayer.
Search for deep treasure as you go through this day.
You will find Me along the way.
~ Sarah Young, Jesus Calling

- - - - -

GeoCaching actually reminds me a lot of the spiritual sentiments conveyed in this quote!

- - - - -

No comments: